reading in ascii files on a tape using tar?

reading in ascii files on a tape using tar?

Post by Carlos 666 Tro » Sun, 20 Jan 1991 02:09:29

I just got my own unix boxes and am  new to the unix world...so
forgive the stupid question...

I will be getting several dozen labelled and unlabelled ascii
tapes (some created on vaxen, others on big blue).  What command
whould I use to copy these files from tape to disk.

-Carlos
Citicorp**, Jones & Ryan

reading in ascii files on a tape using tar?

Post by mik » Mon, 21 Jan 1991 10:24:30

Quote:>I will be getting several dozen labelled and unlabelled ascii
>tapes (some created on vaxen, others on big blue).  What command
>whould I use to copy these files from tape to disk.

Assuming that you know what the device name is for your tape (let's use
/dev/rmt0 in this example), your best bet is 'dd'; such as:

        dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=/tmp/diskfile

The 'dd' tool assumes nothing about the way that the tapes were created, etc.
It will just dump from the tape to a file; if the architecture that you're
read from is "backwards" (bytes are swapped), then add "conv=swab" to
the above line (ie: dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=/tmp/diskfile conv=swab).  This should
do it ... those files will be in one large file which you will have to
split up (by hand, or by writing a program to do it).

Good luck!
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike