Intercepting mail messages

Post by David Nicodem » Sun, 17 Jan 1993 01:12:58

Hi,

        I am trying to find a way to pipe all of my incoming mail messages
through a script which would parse the mail header and save messages from
certain people to another file. Is there any way to do this so that the
system still appends the mail messages to my mail box ?

                Thanks in advance for any help.

                        Dave :)

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Intercepting mail messages

Post by Scott Gros » Sat, 16 Jan 1993 22:50:25

Quote:

>Hi,

>    I am trying to find a way to pipe all of my incoming mail messages
>through a script which would parse the mail header and save messages from
>certain people to another file. Is there any way to do this so that the
>system still appends the mail messages to my mail box ?

Tom Christianson (sp) wrote a beautiful perl script to do this called audit.pl

                -- Scott Grosch
--

Computer Aided Engineering Network                  University of Michigan

Intercepting mail messages

Post by Ken Germa » Sun, 17 Jan 1993 11:34:38

Quote:

>Hi,

>    I am trying to find a way to pipe all of my incoming mail messages
>through a script which would parse the mail header and save messages from
>certain people to another file. Is there any way to do this so that the
>system still appends the mail messages to my mail box ?

SCO has this capability with MMDF. This might span to other systems
as well. The .maildelivery file allows this. Try a man maildelivery.
There is an example there that could help you. Sendmail should have
the same or simliar functionality.
--
Ken Germann              ZZZZ EEEE  OO   SSSS   ZEOS International, Ltd.

uunet!zeos!support UUCP    Z  EE   O  O  SSS    1301 Industrial Blvd. N.E.
Any opinions expressed    Z   E    O  O     S   Minneapolis, MN 55413

Post by Eric Schnoebel » Mon, 18 Jan 1993 09:28:55

- >  I am trying to find a way to pipe all of my incoming mail messages
- >through a script which would parse the mail header and save messages from
- >certain people to another file. Is there any way to do this so that the
- >system still appends the mail messages to my mail box ?
-
- Tom Christianson (sp) wrote a beautiful perl script to do this called audit.pl

        Actually, Martin Streicher wrote it.  But the mistake could
easliy be made, given that they both were at CONVEX at the time.

        I haven't used audit, but I do know it makes use of various MH
parts.  I do use Tom's PLUM mail user agent, which is also layered over
MH.  plum is very nice, but isn't geared at processing articles.
--

        Biology is the only science in which multiplication means the
                        same thing as division.

Post by Dwight Erne » Mon, 18 Jan 1993 11:12:07

>>Hi,

>>        I am trying to find a way to pipe all of my incoming mail messages
>>through a script which would parse the mail header and save messages from
>>certain people to another file. Is there any way to do this so that the
>>system still appends the mail messages to my mail box ?

Various filters have been posted to variouis source-related newsgroups
over the past several months.  Among them are procmail, which would do
what Mr. Nicodemus seems to want.  Check with your friendly neighborhood
archive server.

--
--Dwight A. Ernest   R&D Manager (USA)     I speak only for myself.
  Hyphen, Inc./181 Ballardvale St./Wilmington, MA 01887/+1 508 988 0880 x125

Intercepting mail messages

Post by Budi Rahard » Tue, 19 Jan 1993 03:16:00

Quote:>>>Hi,
>>>    I am trying to find a way to pipe all of my incoming mail messages
>>>through a script which would parse the mail header and save messages from
>>>certain people to another file. Is there any way to do this so that the
>>>system still appends the mail messages to my mail box ?

There are many programs (packages) out there :
- "filter" (part of Elm distribution)
- procmail
- mailagent
- and others ... :-) [I use my own perl script]

Use "archie" to locate ftp sites closer to you.

-- budi
--

Unix Support - Computer Services - University of Manitoba