Serving Web Pages from a Subdirectory

Post by Big Rapids Lightin » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:54:08

Hi, I go to a school where they run Free BSD on a server to teach a class on
UNIX.  Everytime I put an HTML page in my home directory (actually a
subdirectory of that called /web) I check to see if it's accessible with my
browser (IE 5).  Unfortunately, it seems that no matter where I put the web
page it never shows up.  My professor said I had to do something special to
the subdirectory but he wouldn't tell me what.  I'm not sure exactly what
the whole deal involves but any clues/hints would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Serving Web Pages from a Subdirectory

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 07:29:06

Quote:>Hi, I go to a school where they run Free BSD on a server to teach a class on
>UNIX.  Everytime I put an HTML page in my home directory (actually a
>subdirectory of that called /web) I check to see if it's accessible with my
>browser (IE 5).  Unfortunately, it seems that no matter where I put the web
>page it never shows up.  My professor said I had to do something special to
>the subdirectory but he wouldn't tell me what.  I'm not sure exactly what
>the whole deal involves but any clues/hints would be GREATLY appreciated.

You probably have to make the directory and file world-readable, and the
directory needs to be world-executable:

chmod -R o+r ~/web
chmod o+x ~/web

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

Serving Web Pages from a Subdirectory

Post by Big Rapids Lightin » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:08:33

Hi Barry,

Thank you for the reply!  I'm not sure its that easy since I've chmod 777'd
the whole directory but I'll give it another try.

Thanks again!

Mark

> >Hi, I go to a school where they run Free BSD on a server to teach a class
on
> >UNIX.  Everytime I put an HTML page in my home directory (actually a
> >subdirectory of that called /web) I check to see if it's accessible with
my
> >browser (IE 5).  Unfortunately, it seems that no matter where I put the
web
> >page it never shows up.  My professor said I had to do something special
> >the subdirectory but he wouldn't tell me what.  I'm not sure exactly what
> >the whole deal involves but any clues/hints would be GREATLY appreciated.

> You probably have to make the directory and file world-readable, and the
> directory needs to be world-executable:

> chmod -R o+r ~/web
> chmod o+x ~/web

> --

> Genuity, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

group.

1. dynamically produces web pages to serve up static reports?

Intranet reporting package for static reports to be displayed in the
browser.

Just a quick question...

I am setting up an intranet to serve up previously printed reports after
they have been produced on another machine and copied to my linux box.  Has
any one run accross a freeware package to do the trick?  I will have
several hundred reports that I will need to organize and protect at
different levels.

2. FetchMail and "Multi-Drop"

3. Serving web pages from NTFS filestore via Solaris??

4. X windows SUDDENLY CRASHED, help!!!

5. Apache not serving web pages

6. Compaq Laptops and mice (a question or two)

7. Apache Server - Web pages get served twice ?????

8. CORRECTING MY GOOF!

9. Configuring Apache Web Server to serve jsp and servlet pages

10. Web server won't serve pages :-(

11. Can Apache force a footer/head on all served web pages?

12. Apache Server - Web Pages are served twice ???????

13. Web Pages get served twice?