Probs with dump on a Travan TR-4 Tape

Post by Rainer Gubansk » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
i have a problem to get my Travan TR-4 Streamer work correctly with dump on my
Linux box.
Dump does not determine the right capacity of my Sony QTR-4 Tapes.
Beeing annoyed with all the parameters and Options of dump and believeing
some people who stated that dump will itself calculate the right size i did a
simple

dump 0uf /dev/nst0 /

to backup my root Partition, which is about 50 MB. On a QTR-4 Tape you can
store 4GB uncompressed, so i thought i have plenty of space. But dump says
1.03 Tapes are needed for the backup :(
With Tar i get all my whole disks on the tape and have even space left :)
But i want to do my backups with dump, because the features of dump and
restore are superior to fiddling with tar when restoring.

So my question: Which info is needed by dump to calculate the right size of
my tape?

If this is a FAQ, a RTFAQ or RTFM (stating which faq or which fm) is ok,
though i read the man page for dump and can not get the right info out of
it so it seems that i need a more detailed advice.

Thanks in advance

  Rainer Gubanski

--
Rainer Gubanski

1. SCSI Travan TR-4 Tape Drive

Does anyone have any experience using the SCSI Travan TR-4 (4GB)
tape drive with linux (kernel 2.0 and up)? The spec's look very
interesting. And the prices are good ($350, Colorado or Seagate),
comparing to DAT tape drives. The price of tapes are not terribly
high (~$40 for 4GB uncompressed). Anyone using it?

Please email any related information to me. Thank you very much.

Guangliang He

2. Please help me, why I can't connect nextwork (Solaris 8 for X86)?

3. Travan TR-4 4-8G tape drive, is it good?

4. epoll bits 0.46 ...

5. Anyone using TR-4 Travan tape drive on SunOS/Solaris?

6. Process size

7. Linux and Travan TR-4 SCSI Tape Drives

8. files per directory

9. Problem reading Travan TR-4 tape

10. Q] SCSI Travan TR-4 Tape Drives with x86 2.5

11. Can a TR-3 tape be used in the new 5 gig Travan tape drive?

12. Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape

13. TR-4 tapes w/ TR-5 drive?