How to kill a uninterruptible sleep process

How to kill a uninterruptible sleep process

Post by Ramana Turlapati (3 » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 15:01:53

Hello fellow UNIX victims,
I have a process that shows status "U" - stands for uninterruptible sleeping
process, when I execute the command "ps -u $USER".
I ahven't been able to kill the process, as it is ignoring all the signals
i send it.
Let me know how you kill it, and why it ignores all the signals.

Thanks in advance

/Ramana

1. Killing a process in "uninterruptible sleep"

A segmentation fault occured while trying to mount a Mac (HFS) formatted Zip
disk on a PC running linux 2.0.33. Even though it did not successfully mount,
I tried to umount it before removing the disk. The umount process hung and ps
shows the status of the process is "uninterruptible sleep".

Now I can't do a soft reboot because reboot seems to want all processes killed
and even kill -9 as root will not kill the umount process. How can I recover
from this situation so that I can reboot gracefully? Or better yet, how do I
return to a normal situation where I can eject the disk? As it stands there is
no way to manually remove the Zip disk and the software method eject does not
seem to work either. (This is why I am trying to reboot) If I am forced to
power-down abruptly I will probably have to run fsck manually --- something
I'd prefer not having to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

2. SCSI devices and SMP kernels

3. killing processes in an uninterruptible sleep

4. Application Defaults for xmailtool

5. How to "kill" uninterruptible sleeping process?

6. Sun Solaris Certified Adminstrator Practice Questions

7. killing uninterruptible sleep PID

8. system() call behaving oddly

9. Uninterruptible sleeping process

10. Uninterruptible sleep Process

11. Process in "uninterruptible sleep"?

12. Process falls into uninterruptible sleep

13. Uninterruptible sleep Process and Reboot