Help with Serial port Communications on DSR/DTR lines

Help with Serial port Communications on DSR/DTR lines

Post by J. C. Beyer » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am implementing a server application to simulate a piece of hardware.
I need to receive/send data via an RS-232 on the DSR/DTR lines and not
the RTS/CTS lines.

My current platform:  (Transitioning soon to v10.2)

uname -a
HP-UX <HOST> A.09.07 E 9000/770 2005558216 8-user license

Should I use modem ioctls in the "simple mode"?
(this seems to support DSR/DTR)

Can I mix termios struct with the modem ioctls?
(it seems that the c_cflags only support RTS/CTS)

Does anyone have any suggestions or example source code?

I have perused the man pages and the Steven's "Advanced Programming in
the UNIX Evironment" book among other sources and I still do not have
clear picture.

Thanks

J. C.

Post by bmar.. » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

   >I am implementing a server application to simulate a piece of
   >hardware. I need to receive/send data via an RS-232 on the DSR/DTR
   >lines and not the RTS/CTS lines.
You mean use DSR/DTR instead of TXD/RXD or instead of RTS/CTS?  Either way,
seems to me the best solution would be to swap the wires.

1. Help with Serial port Communications on DSR/DTR lines

I am implementing a server application to simulate a piece of hardware.
I need to receive/send data via an RS-232 on the DSR/DTR lines and not
the RTS/CTS lines.

My current platform:  (Transitioning soon to v10.2)

uname -a
HP-UX <HOST> A.09.07 E 9000/770 2005558216 8-user license

Should I use modem ioctls in the "simple mode"?
(this seems to support DSR/DTR)

Can I mix termios struct with the modem ioctls?
(it seems that the c_cflags only support RTS/CTS)

Does anyone have any suggestions or example source code?

I have perused the man pages and the Steven's "Advanced Programming in
the UNIX Evironment" book among other sources and I still do not have
clear picture.

Thanks

J. C.

2. Archive Tape Drive Installation

3. (REPOST) Detecting DSR and DTR lines (RS232) in a program.

4. Protocol driver no attached, ENUATCH ioctl error

5. Detecting DSR and DTR lines (RS232) in a program.

6. Simple Query

7. Opening tty port without raising dtr/dsr

8. cdbakeoven burn audio cd

9. serial DTR line always set on port opening

10. How to toggle DTR/RTS lines of a serial port?

11. Problem with DTR line on serial port