locking printer problem

Post by DALI » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I wrote a script to temporarly lock our line printer using lpadmin -u
allow:username .  the script is accessable from anyone and basically just
disables the printer.  it sometimes needs to be locked because some departments
print on special forms.  there are some problems though :

1. when the printer is disabled other requests are rejected instead of queued.
is there any way that the requests can be queued or spooled until the printer
is made available again?
2. our background queue in symix runs as root so any background que will
override the lock which defeats the purpose.  is there any way that root could
be denied access to over ride a disabled printer?
3. if someone doesn't pay attention to the script they won't see that the
printer is locked for another user and may try to lock it for themself.  is
there any way once a printer is locked by a user it can only be unlocked by
that same user or root?

please reply by e-mail,
thanks

1. locking printer problem

[...]

2. Lexmark X125

3. Problems with laser printers locking up

4. hel p with installation

5. netscape rpm from compaq + my box = lock lock lock

6. Swap, Disk cache ...

7. Modem TX and RX status via Num Lock-Caps Lock-Scroll Lock

8. jmp_buf.h: where did it go?

9. Project problem - linux printer portProject problem - linux printer port

10. Problem with getty leaving locks in /etc/locks

11. X starts, printer prints, drives mount; but "modem is locked"

12. Solaris 2.7 + network printer = X locked

13. Printer locking