Sound File Formats

Post by Michael Butle » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello All, Happy New Year

        A quick question: I am beginning work on my thesis this week and
will be writing a WWW database program that will store and make
available sound clips of pronounciations of computer scientists names
and was wondering what file formats I should initially support. I was
thinking of supporting only 2 to start with: .wav and .aiff. I think
these are quite popular in the Unix, Linux, Windows and Mac operating
systems. What do you guys (and gals) think? Should I support more? Are
these file formats universal enough? Forgive me if this is off topic but
I want to get a broad range of opinions from different areas of
specialization.

Thanks in advance
Mike Butler

1. .au sound file format

Hi,

I am suppose to program with the .au sound files. Could anyone tell me
where I can find any specifications for this sound file format and other
sound file formats?

I found on web that this is the sun audio format, so I guess maybe I can
ask the question on UNIX programmer because there may be other unix
programmers working on this sound format.

Thanks
-----
Ran Pang
SE 99

http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~pangr
tel: (905)529-5619

2. SMC9432 problems

3. Linux Sound File Format?

4. Mailtool bug

5. gdb: core file not in executable format: File format not recognized

6. Mailing-List for Sun/Solaris Tips and Tricks

7. Convert vc file format to Lotus 1-2-3 file format?

8. Frame Buffer Upgrade

9. .au format sound files

10. What sound cards and file formats does NetBSD/i386 support?

11. How to format 100mb ZIP with EXT2 file format

12. Microsoft file formats revisited: source for OLE formats

13. Howto change files in Dos format to Linux format