Basic UNIX commands

Post by Jacques Marco » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

    Andy> I use a dos window to connect to ftp sites (under Win95).
    Andy> Could somebody tell me the basic UNIX commands and their
    Andy> parameters that I would find useful (or point me to a help
    Andy> file of some desc).  Im particularly interested in the ls
    Andy> params as the listings always go flying up the screen, and I
    Andy> cant get them to pause after each page.

The most basic command is: man
man man
man ls
man ftp
man -k file
--
    _______    _______    _______    _______    _______    _______    _______
 __/\______\__/\______\__/\______\__/\______\__/\______\__/\______\__/\______\

1. Basic UNIX commands

: I use a dos window to connect to ftp sites (under Win95).  Could somebody
: tell me the basic UNIX commands and their parameters that I would find
: useful (or point me to a help file of some desc).  Im particularly
: interested in the ls params as the listings always go flying up the screen,
: and I cant get them to pause after each page.

: THanks

Try using the "ls -l | more" to see the outout one screen at at time.

There's a unix guide at this URL:

        http://www.math.utah.edu/~calfeld/creations

--Jerry,

 Dynamic Matrix Control Corporation                (my opinions are my own)

2. 500 Server Error

3. BASIC UNIX COMMANDS???

4. Shell Debugger, Cshell

5. Basic UNIX commands

6. How to change root's shell login (sh and not ksh) ?

7. UNIX Basic command call

8. LILO: Decided to give another try. Need help!!

9. Need a basic UNIX manual to learn UNIX usage, etc.

10. Command editing inside a Unix command

11. how to use execvp() to execute Unix commands with "|" piped commands?

12. Newbie: Basic Linux Commands