Unix Sockets - Max Buffer Size

Post by derek.a.dew » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 23:06:59

Does anyone out there know how I can find out the maximum buffer
size that can be allocated to a send/receive buffer for Unix
sockets ? I know I can set the size with setsockopt, but the OS
apparently sets an upper limit.

Cheers

Del.

1. Unix Domain Sockets and buffer sizes under Solaris 2.6

I have developed a simple application using unix domain sockets
as a means of communication between two processes (using a stream
connection (SOCK_STREAM) with send() and recv() ). Things work like
a charm, except when there are ~35 (512 byte) messages sent, but
haven't been read by the receiving process. The write call then
blocks (as desired and expected), until the receiving process has
had a chance to handle a couple dozen messages. However, I cannot
seem to be able to increase or decrease this buffer size (i.e. send
100 or 10 messages vs. 35).

I have tried using the setsockopt() system call (with SOL_SOCKET
and SO_SNDBUF/SO_RCVBUF flags) to increase the buffer sizes,
and the system call succeeds ( verified by a getsockopt() as well
as the return value ). However, the behaviour of the application
remains the same. Do I have to change a kernel tunable parameter
to achieve the behaviour I want, or am I missing something else?

Any ideas would be helpful.

thanks

Trent Stack

2. CPU Time

3. Any relationship between message size and tcp/udp socket buffer size?

4. kermit on RS6000

5. Max/min TCP buffer sizes?

6. automountd error under Solaris 8

7. iostream buffer - max size ?

8. N33d h31p crack1ng pa55wd f1l3!!

9. MAX SOCKET QUEUE SIZE

10. set socket send buffer size --- bug in Linux 2.0.x?

11. Increase default upper bound of socket buffer size(UDP)

12. Application Socket Buffer size

13. Socket buffer sizes ...