How do i permit write access to a small group of people?

How do i permit write access to a small group of people?

Post by stephen buckl » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

   i would like to permit write access to one of my directories to a small
group of people.  i've been looking at chmod and group commands in the man
pages and i can't seem to figure out if or how file permissions is the way
to do this (i.e. owner-group-others).

   can i do this?  if so, how?

---
        Stephen Buckley            Vancouver Internet Pilots

        (604)  936-9213            for Macintosh and Windows
    PERSONAL HOMEPAGES: $5/month, BUSINESS HOMEPAGES: $10/month

Post by David Pete » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>   i would like to permit write access to one of my directories to a small
>group of people.  i've been looking at chmod and group commands in the man
>pages and i can't seem to figure out if or how file permissions is the way
>to do this (i.e. owner-group-others).

>   can i do this?  if so, how?

>---
>        Stephen Buckley            Vancouver Internet Pilots

>        (604)  936-9213            for Macintosh and Windows
>    PERSONAL HOMEPAGES: $5/month, BUSINESS HOMEPAGES: $10/month

Your system may have Access Control Lists which allow file accesses on a more
selective basis than chmod, etc. In HP-UX, see acl(5). I don't know about other
systems.
--
David P Peter                                   | It happens.
Insignia Solutions Plc.                         | Sometimes people just explode.

Voice: +44 1494 453351                          | http://www.insignia.com/

Post by Emery Lapins » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>   i would like to permit write access to one of my directories to a small
>group of people.  i've been looking at chmod and group commands in the man
>pages and i can't seem to figure out if or how file permissions is the way
>to do this (i.e. owner-group-others).

>   can i do this?  if so, how?

Make a group of just the people you want to give access to, and then
set the group id of that file to this new group, and give it group
write permission.

Or, install a file-system/OS that has Access Control Lists.
--

when you pry it from my cold dead finger(1)." | This work is Copyright 1995
Emery Lapinski and is freely redistributable by anyone and anything with the

1. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

Hi

First let me describe what I would like to set up to clarify things:

Scenario:

I would like to set up 3 groups, lets call them A, B, C. Users from A should
have access files created by users in B or C. Users in B or C cannot access
files created by users in A. Also users in B or C should not have access to
each others files.

How would I set up Umask to handle this? I've tried to create a primary
group for all and secondary groups to reflect the permissions I'm after, but
to no avail.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon

2. Simple shell program

3. Need some help, how to write small application to access Linux loadable module

4. how to use make.rules not installed in /usr/share/lib/make on SUN?

5. group write access

6. How to Install my ISDN card

7. File Access - Does Owner Access Override Group Access?

8. Redhat's Block & Tackle - When are the big boys going to get fed up?

9. Need Write Access to Linux ext-fs from DOS/Win95!

10. Write access to DOS partition

11. DOS partition, how about non-root write access?

12. su error : cannot set group: operation not permitted

13. SU - set groups - operation not permitted