TAR/compress on-the-fly?

Post by Anthon » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to TAR a number of filesystems that I would like to
compress on-the-fly.  The FSs are relatively large, 900MB - 3.1GB, and
I don't have enough free disk space to be able to create full TARs and
Then compress them.  The smaller ones I've been able to take care of
so far with 'tar -cFpvf /target/dir/filename.tar /source' and then
compressing them, but that won't work on the bigger FSs.

I have tried 'tar -cFpf /source | compress >
/target/dir/filename.tar', but I can't seem to get it to work.  It
creates a 0-size (zero) file (ex: foo.tar.Z).

Anyone have any ideas?

Not that it should make any difference but: AIX 4.3.2 running on an SP
silver node.

Anthony

TAR/compress on-the-fly?

Post by Ted J. Loeffelhol » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to TAR a number of filesystems that I would like to
> compress on-the-fly.  The FSs are relatively large, 900MB - 3.1GB, and
> I don't have enough free disk space to be able to create full TARs and
> Then compress them.  The smaller ones I've been able to take care of
> so far with 'tar -cFpvf /target/dir/filename.tar /source' and then
> compressing them, but that won't work on the bigger FSs.

> I have tried 'tar -cFpf /source | compress >
> /target/dir/filename.tar', but I can't seem to get it to work.  It
> creates a 0-size (zero) file (ex: foo.tar.Z).

> Anyone have any ideas?

> Not that it should make any difference but: AIX 4.3.2 running on an SP
> silver node.

> Anthony

Anthony,

I am running HPUX 10.20 but I am going to guess that as far as
tar/compress goes AIX isn't that much different.

Try the following command:

tar -cFpf - /source | compress - > /target/dir/filename.tar.Z

The command that you were issuing wasn't informing tar to send it's
output to stdout and wasn't telling compress to accept input from stdin.

Hope it helps,
Ted

TAR/compress on-the-fly?

Post by Rainer Temm » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to TAR a number of filesystems that I would like to
> compress on-the-fly.  The FSs are relatively large, 900MB - 3.1GB, and
> I don't have enough free disk space to be able to create full TARs and
> Then compress them.  The smaller ones I've been able to take care of
> so far with 'tar -cFpvf /target/dir/filename.tar /source' and then
> compressing them, but that won't work on the bigger FSs.

> I have tried 'tar -cFpf /source | compress >
> /target/dir/filename.tar', but I can't seem to get it to work.  It
> creates a 0-size (zero) file (ex: foo.tar.Z).

> Anyone have any ideas?

> Not that it should make any difference but: AIX 4.3.2 running on an SP
> silver node.

Hi Anthony,

you might try to download a copy of GNU's tar (gtar) and GNU's zip (gzip) from the web.
gtar supports the "z" option to use gzip to compress the files. The commandline looks
like this:
gtar -czf target.tgz savefile1 savefile2 ...
gzip itself is compressing much better than compress does.

Regards Rainer

TAR/compress on-the-fly?

Post by ynots.. » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > I have tried 'tar -cFpf /source | compress >
> > /target/dir/filename.tar', but I can't seem to get it to work.  It
> > creates a 0-size (zero) file (ex: foo.tar.Z).
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> > Not that it should make any difference but: AIX 4.3.2 running on an
> > SP silver node.

Quote:> Try the following command:
> tar -cFpf - /source | compress - > /target/dir/filename.tar.Z
> The command that you were issuing wasn't informing tar to send it's
> output to stdout and wasn't telling compress to accept input from
> stdin.

Correct, but the command you are suggesting doesn't inform compress to
send its output to stdout for redirection to the file. compress accepts
stdin from the pipe, but requires a -c option to write to stdout:

tar -cFpf - /source | compress -c > /target/dir/filename.tar.Z

-   tony

-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. On-the-Fly disk compress

RO>I was having a look at the Linux Gazette and found mention of a utility
  >called e2compr. e2compr compresses files and directories and the files
  >are decompressed on-the-fly as they are needed without user
  >intervention. You can compress a directory so that any file placed
  >there is automatically compressed. OK, I know you'll say 'seen it all
  >before' but it looks really nice. Those of us with nearly full hard
  >disks will find it very useful.

Phillip,
While these types of compression programs can be useful, they
can also be dangerous.  And I speak from personal experience!
With hard drive prices being so reasonable these days, I think
it best to either add an additional drive or upgrade the one
you've got.
David

 * OLX 2.1 * "What?" is the question.  For the answer, send me $10.00.

2. need help with shell script

3. trying to compress sybase dump on-the-fly

4. New Mother Board

5. on-the-fly file-compressing?

6. Mail setup question

7. Trouble with on-the-fly tarring in WU-FTP 2.4

8. XV on LinuxPmac

9. Can't do on-the-fly tarring using wu-ftp

10. GNU tar compress on the fly?

11. compressing on the fly: father process seems to end before popened compress

12. 961014-SNAP on-the-fly swapfiles

13. On-the-fly CDR writing software for Linux ?