File Security in ksh that even verbose mode cannot display?

File Security in ksh that even verbose mode cannot display?

Post by Don Dwye » Tue, 12 Sep 1995 04:00:00

We are converting from MVS to Unix and will be utilizing a product to transmit files
between the two systems (Xcom).  One requirement of Xcom is that a Userid and
Password are required to transmit.

We are running scripts to replace our MVS procs, so I've created one to handle the
transfer.  My problem is that we need a way to secure a file that will hold the
Userid and Password.  I can remove the read-write access to the file, but need to
leave the execute access for other users to run the script.  In doing so, ksh can
expose the variables being set within the script with the "-v" verbose option.

Is there any way to fully protect this file so that even the verbose mode will not
display the contents?

1. cannot get all verbose ksh output into a log file

I have several nested ksh scripts and using '-x' to maximize output.
But when I execute these and pipe output to log (using '>' or tee) I am
only getting a portion of the output...what is the exact syntax to have
output on-screen PLUS piped to log file :-
$ scriptname |tee logfile 2>&1
or
      $ scriptname > logfile 2>&1 |tee

2. users control

3. remove file Input/output error - can't even display

4. diskless clients

5. cannot remove file - even as root !!!!

6. How to make a server program restart?

7. I cannot execute files, even when I have the permissions set to do so.

8. filename is "-.", how do i remove this file?

9. Verbose mode for rpm?

10. Booting in verbose mode

11. sshd2 won't fork in verbose mode

12. natd in verbose mode: strange output

13. Font server (xfs): how to put in verbose (debug) mode?