backspace key

Post by Mark Whalle » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I want to put the command "stty erase [backspace key]" into my

backspace key

Post by Jonathan Ch » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to put the command "stty erase [backspace key]" into my

stty erase '^h'

[That's a "caret h", BTW]
--

backspace key

Post by Mike Purdi » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I want to put the command "stty erase [backspace key]" into my

Into my what?. I assume you mean your .profile of .login. There are two ways to do this.
Either use a shell escape as follows:

stty erase \[backspace key]

You might have to use the vi character escape (ctrl-V) (asuming you use vi to edit the
file) to enter the backspace (press Ctrl-V then backspace. The backspace will be placed
in the file, rather than being interpreted by vi to delete a character).

or

stty erase ^H
where ^ is the caret (shift-6) and H is H.

This is also recognised by stty as the character control-H.

I prefer the second method, as it is shell independant.

Hope this helps
Mike Purdie

backspace key

Post by R.I. Bagna » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Into my what?. I assume you mean your .profile of .login. There are two
ways to do this.
>Either use a shell escape as follows:

>stty erase \[backspace key]

>or

>stty erase ^H

>This is also recognised by stty as the character control-H.

>I prefer the second method, as it is shell independant.

Is there any way to tall BOTH backspace and Del to be erase at the same
time ?

Robert.

backspace key

Post by Stev » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>stty erase ^H
>where ^ is the caret (shift-6) and H is H.

>This is also recognised by stty as the character control-H.

also tset -e^H or tset -e^? should work as well

-steve
--
    I'm just very selective about the reality i choose to accept. -Calvin
     I have plenty of common sense, i just choose to ignore it. -Calvin

1. Can the BackSpace key send an ASCII Backspace (^H)?

The subject says it all.  How can I set it up so the backspace key on
my keyboard sends a backspace instead of a delete?

I've looked through the FAQs, the HOWTOs, and have tried to do it with
loadkeys.  No success.

Email response preferred.

Thanks,

University of California, San Diego     Department of Cognitive Science

University of California, San Diego     Department of Cognitive Science

2. Dial up problem in LAN

3. How to make backspace key be backspace?

4. Apache and cgi

5. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

6. Apache Q: mod_cgi and ForceType?

7. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

8. Alpha/numeric pager prog

9. backspace key is behaving like a delete key

10. Backspace key becomes ^H in mail, man, etc; DEL key becomes ^[[3

11. Backspace key in Netscape just beeps.

12. How to define teh backspace key to work properly

13. Where's my backspace key?