Checksum error extracting files with tar.

Checksum error extracting files with tar.

Post by mgi » Mon, 30 Mar 1992 23:07:52

Hi,
        I am trying to extract files from a 'tar'ed, compressed, file that I
ftp'd from a remote site.  I am using the command

                cat <filename>.Z | tar -xvf -

and I get an error that says:

                tar: Directory checksum error, 0 not equal to <large number>

The machine is an IBM RS/6000.  I don't suspect there is anything wrong with
the .Z file itself.  Either I am not using tar correctly, or I should be
doing something to the file before I use tar on it.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

                                                        Thank you,
                                                        Anand Prahlad

Post by Donald H. Lock » Wed, 01 Apr 1992 04:24:21

>    I am trying to extract files from a 'tar'ed, compressed, file that I
>ftp'd from a remote site.  I am using the command

>            cat <filename>.Z | tar -xvf -

>and I get an error that says:

>            tar: Directory checksum error, 0 not equal to <large number>

You need to uncompress the file BEFORE extracting it.  Use:
    zcat <filename>.Z | tar -xvf -
    OR
    uncompress <filename>.Z; tar xvf <filename>

>                                                    Thank you,
>                                                    Anand Prahlad

You're welcome.
--

Donald.
``Good. Fast. Cheap.  Pick any two.'' Erwin Frand, IR&D Editorial, Late '70s

1. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

hi

I have downloaded the mozilla source twice from their web site. I
download it at school using RH 7.1 & 6.2 and then I copyed it onto my
zip disk and carried it home and ftp it from my RH 7.1 machine to
solaris. both times and also once when I made a tar of my own I get a
directory checksum error. I am very sure the files are the correct size.

I see that I have options to use -i ignore with the solaris tar program
and I use star and it extracts without error.

Does anyone else consistently get errors with solaris's tar program and
large file's?. I don't get any error's when I gunzip or bunzip2 them.

It seems funny- I have always used gzip and bzip to sort of protect my
tar files from checksum errors I always expect to get the error with
them first.

Is it the mozilla download?  or is it the diffrence between- every one
else using a diffrent version of tar like gnu? or can anyone see
anything I am doing wrong?

I never get errors with small files < 20 meg that I can remember, but
the last couple mozilla and the one I made were a little over 200meg
uncompressed.

THis isn't really a big problem because star and -i work but I am still
very concerned about the stability of my files.

Thanks
dm

2. surpassing the 64Meg RAM limit

3. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories

4. Playing X-Wing Alliance through Linux firewall

5. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories.

6. Cdrom attached to snd card

7. tar: warning: tar file made with signed checksum

8. fun with NIS+ and AutoClients

9. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary

10. error while extracting tar file

11. Extracting files from multivolume tar archive made with SCO tar

12. using tar command to extract tarred files

13. tar error: HELP - extract write error