Newbie needs a guide

Post by GTA_J » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:15:41

I am new to UNIX. I am NT/2000 admin who now needs to learn Sun
Solaris 8.
Can someone please recommend a book, keeping in mind that I have never
touched a UNIX box before. I do have access to the software and a
test box to install it on.

Thanks in Advance

Newbie needs a guide

Post by Brian Ke » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:47:01

> I am new to UNIX. I am NT/2000 admin who now needs to learn Sun
> Solaris 8.
> Can someone please recommend a book, keeping in mind that I have never
> touched a UNIX box before. I do have access to the software and a
> test box to install it on.

Try: http://www.oreilly.com/ for excellent generic Unix stuff, and
possibly Sun-specific too.
(much of it is also available for reading online)

--
Brian Key

Newbie needs a guide

Post by Unpublshd Xplo » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:01:47

I'm a newbie as well dabbling in *nix for a few years.  Gunning for RHCT but
later will try Solaris cert.  U may try the books published by Sun.  They seem
pretty decent.

A first read might be Unix for Dummies or Unix in 21 days if that's not too
simple for you.  It would just cover the very basics.  The Unix for DOS users
is decent as well.  Also seen a book by Sybex that was for Windows admins
learning *nix.

Someone suggested O'reilly books.  "Running Linux" is very good and I believe
they have a Unix version.  The Unix CD bookshelf is a bundle of 1 physical book
and 6 ebooks and is fairly priced.  Assuming they have some Solaris stuff
available, an O'reilly ebook subscription would be good bang for the buck, $10
a month or so.

Home box would cost $100 to $200 for solaris x86 and a bit more for an entry
level ultrasparc.  I use an ancient sparc and 500 mhz x86 and it was $20 for
solaris downloads and license.

M.