Question on password length in Solaris 2.5.1

Question on password length in Solaris 2.5.1

Post by freed.. » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

  We have passlength set to 8 in the /etc/default/passwd file but
some user can still login with password less than 8 characters.
Is that anywhere else in the file system we can restrict the size of
password to at least 8 characters ??

  We are running Solaris 2.5.1.  Our former SA installed Axent URM
version 3.4 but not fully configured yet,i.e., only one test user and
group is setup. We see two processes "urmlogind" and "urmtelnetd"
though. How can we check if URM is causing this password length problem
??

Thanks,

Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by bmar.. » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

   >We have passlength set to 8 in the /etc/default/passwd file but
   >some user can still login with password less than 8 characters.
Do you mean that they can still login with their old passwords, or can they
change their passwords to new ones of less than 8 characters?  There is
no way to know the length of an already encrypted password.
   >Is that anywhere else in the file system we can restrict the size of
   >password to at least 8 characters ??

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

1. Question on password length in Solaris 2.5.1

  We have passlength set to 8 in the /etc/default/passwd file but
some user can still login with password less than 8 characters.
Is that anywhere else in the file system we can restrict the size of
password to at least 8 characters ??

  We are running Solaris 2.5.1.  Our former SA installed Axent URM
version 3.4 but not fully configured yet,i.e., only one test user and
group is setup. We see two processes "urmlogind" and "urmtelnetd"
though. How can we check if URM is causing this password length problem
??

Thanks,

Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. memory exhaustion error using 3c503 card on a 386dx/4M RAM:HELP!!!

3. Linux - Internet gateway?

4. max password length for Solaris

5. IBM Turbo 16/4 Tokenringadapter PCMCIA works fine

6. Username & password length on Solaris?

8. Is available length of user password 9 for Solaris 10 experimental

9. two questions: makecontext, etc; password length

10. Samba password length limited to 8 characters on Solaris 7 ?

11. Toggling single/double length shadow passwords

12. shadowed *double-length* passwords on Redhat 4.2 ?