vi for 32 bit Windows

Post by John Peiffe » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm forced to use windows NT, but I would still like to use vi.  Has
anyone found a version of vi that works on 32 bit windows and handles
long file names.

Thanks,

John Peiffer

vi for 32 bit Windows

Post by Bob Gebhar » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

John---

        I stumbled across a really fine implementation of vi which runs on Windows
NT 4.0 just fine. It handles long file names, and is a true vi, but also
has a windows-style menu at the top.

        What's weird is where I found it. It came with my copy of Watcom C/C++. We
use Borland C++ 5.02, and I wanted to try Watcom. For various reasons, that
issue is still in doubt, but strictly coincidentally I got that really
slick vi. I use it quite often (we bounce around between SCO UNIX, XENIX,
AIX, DOS, W95 and NT, so it's nice to have a universal editor).

        I'd be glad to send you a copy, but I don't think I can get away with
that. The gendarmes might incarcerate me. Why not inquire at
www.powersoft.com? Watcom is a Powersoft product, and I assume the NT vi is
too.

        It was almost worth the $185 I spent to get Watcom C/C++, to get this very
nice vi.

---Bob

> I'm forced to use windows NT, but I would still like to use vi.  Has
> anyone found a version of vi that works on 32 bit windows and handles
> long file names.

> Thanks,

> John Peiffer

vi for 32 bit Windows

Post by Fred Smi » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I'm forced to use windows NT, but I would still like to use vi.  Has
: anyone found a version of vi that works on 32 bit windows and handles
: long file names.

Sure.

Visit:

        ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu

and look in the directories:

        /pub/elvis

and

        /pub/elvis/unreleased

In /pub/elvis you'll find elvis 2.0, sources and msdos and Windoze95
binaries. In /pub/elvis/unreleased you'll find Elvis 2.1g beta, also
sources, messydos and windoze95 binaries. I use the 2.1g version as
my daily vi editor, find it very stable. The win32 version of 2.1 is
much better than the 2.0, so you'll probably find it more suited to
your needs.

Fred

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

1. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

Hi every one,

I have installed Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc E220R. When I installed, it asked
me whether you want 32 bit or 64/32 bit support. I select 32/64 bit support
and I was assuming that it will boot in 64 bit, but when system booted after
the installation, it was in 32 bit mode.

Can I force the system to boot in 64 bit mode or there is any other way ...

Please advise.

Regards and thanks in advance for the advise.

Abdul Majid

2. Best way to do email for clients

3. Linux 64 bit and Windows 32 bit

4. REPOST: Re: SafEEPs.com - liars and DMA puppets?

5. Running Windows 16 or 32 Bit Apps on LINUX?

6. *.Rar iso's for BSD 4.6

7. Q: Problem with Windows 32-bit disk access after loading Linux

8. Cut & Paste between xterms in vi fail using mouse ?

9. How 32 bit driver can be ported to 64 bit driver?

10. 32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle

11. 32 bit or 64 bit

12. Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci

13. MIPS32 VM/ioremap question mapping 32 bit virtual address to 36 bit physical