Creating Files In Default Group

Post by CHANGE USERNAME to west » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I created a new user under a BSD-like UNIX (NeXTSTEP 3.1 for Intel),
and I put that user in the default group of staff.  When I create new
files from that user's login session, they are being created with a
default group of other.  How do I get new files to be created with the
default of the staff group?

--
Will
Internet: westes AT usc.com

PLEASE READ: to send me Internet e-mail, you will need to manually

Creating Files In Default Group

Post by Kenneth P. Turv » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:26:41 GMT,

Quote:>I created a new user under a BSD-like UNIX (NeXTSTEP 3.1 for Intel),
>and I put that user in the default group of staff.  When I create new
>files from that user's login session, they are being created with a
>default group of other.  How do I get new files to be created with the
>default of the staff group?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe BSD style Unix
variants create files with a default group of the directory in which
they are placed.  To get this behavior out of Sys V variants you may be
able to set the sgid bit on the directory.

In short if you would like files created to have the group staff by
default you should set the directory group to staff.

chgrp staff .

Good luck,

--

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad.
        -- Aldous Huxley

1. way to make all files created in a dir default to that dir's group?

Hi,

I have a group that a few users belong to and a directory that they
are all sharing to create data.  Since they all do other work and
belong to various different primary groups, I created a special group
just for this project.  However I can't seem to figure out any way to
make it so that any file created in that directory belongs to the new
group _by default_.  This way the other members of this group will
alsobe able to  write to the file since the permissions on the
directory are 775.

Thus I am seeking a solution whereby the users do not have to remember
to do newgrp new_group and then newgrp back to their old "primary"
group.  Currently what is happening is that while each person may have
write access to the directory, each person is creating files that
belong to their primary group and thus are unwritable by those members
of the special group who to other, different groups.

Any ideas?

thanks

Adam

2. How to allow a limited time for input, then supply a default value?

3. ftpd, default file permissions on creating a file on Solaris, SunOS 5.5.1

4. Blade 100 cannot boot

5. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

6. Can't have DHCP & default gw??

7. who is changing the resolv.conf

8. mkuser creates group-entries for primary group !?

9. default group for file creation

10. make all files written to a dir default to that dir's group???

11. created file permissions on group

12. How to get Users to create files with another group as owner??