Searching For Unix/Mainframe Connectivity w/o TCP/IP

Post by Boyd Rober » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I am looking for a way to kick off a process or transaction on an IBM
>mainframe from a UNIX-based application without putting TCP/IP on the
>mainframe.

Sounds like the mainframe needs to move into the nine* _eighties_
and take IP on board.  Wouldn't be an IBM mainframe would it?  After
seeing their ads they've convinced me they're serious about IP.

--

``Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.'' -- rob

Post by H. Blakely Willifor » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> >I am looking for a way to kick off a process or transaction on an IBM
> >mainframe from a UNIX-based application without putting TCP/IP on the
> >mainframe.

can you get sna/rje for the unix box?  for the h/w you would need modem
eliminators, a 3274 controller or somthing along that line.  if you need
a large pipe between the two systems you might look into a sna/gateway
between the two systems.

plan on doing a system gen on the mainframe as well <g>

Quote:> Sounds like the mainframe needs to move into the nine* _eighties_
> and take IP on board.  Wouldn't be an IBM mainframe would it?  After
> seeing their ads they've convinced me they're serious about IP.

My experence with big blue is that they are not serious about ip -- we
got a as/400 box with there power chip in it -- all it could speek was
the typical ibm network protocalls.  They made a box that might be
a usefull network resource but ended up being a networking nightmare.

The only solution that ibm could give us to move files between our open
systems and that box was a pc with twinax caples running out of it.

Searching For Unix/Mainframe Connectivity w/o TCP/IP

Post by Jimmy W. Parke » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We have AS/400 connected to Rs6000's, other UNIX, PCs w/CA all over the
place and use the TCP/IP supplied with the boxes and it all works fine.

Post by steve wolf » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We have AS/400 connected to Rs6000's, other UNIX, PCs w/CA all over the
> place and use the TCP/IP supplied with the boxes and it all works fine.

We use ftp to send data from batch jobs on our open edition mvs box's to
various unix and netware servers. It is a single step in the JCL with
the IP address and after the initial setup, quite painless and very
useful! Most difficult part was convincing the CNE folks to run an FTP
server on the remote boxes. That creates extra "work" for them <g>!

Steve

url    : http://www.epix.net/~prgsdw

Searching For Unix/Mainframe Connectivity w/o TCP/IP

Post by GT Chere » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

kenny-
don't you have ims or cics on yer big iron?
using a simple async/sync converter black box, or and sna board
(software eats cpu) on your unix box, you would be in a real standard
 been-done-a-million-times situation, very supportable.
use a simple pipe program to emulate a user, if necessary.

while profits are down ~35%, big iron sales are up 65%. some people think
that there is a one-size solution to everything- unix, pc's, mainframes.
obviously myopic, parochial straight-outa-school folks. use the right tool
for the job is what my experience has been. good luck.

: I am looking for a way to kick off a process or transaction on an IBM
: mainframe from a UNIX-based application without putting TCP/IP on the
: mainframe.

: Kenny DiSessa
: NCC Systems, Inc.
: 800-438-5139

--

Stay hungry. Failure is the path of least persistence.

1. IBM mainframe/Unix connectivity questions/issues

Hello,

This is my first posting on the internet.  I am an applications
programmer working for a mainframe applications software company.
I have varied experience in the mainframe and unix environments;
but am no way considered an expert on either.  Our company is
starting to look at the unix environment to enhance it's mainframe
products.  I am on a fact finding mission to deal with the
connectivity issues between a unix machine and a mainframe (VM/CMS,
MVS/CICS,...).  I've read some of IBM's brochures on the RS6000 and
their TCP/IP for the mainframe.  Well, I trust sales brochures just
about as much as I trust any of the Presidential candidates.  I
would like to get the scoop from you people, the experts, who have
actually connected the two machines and are working in a mixed
environment.

I am not necessarily concerned about using an RS6000 or any
particular vendor's hardware.  I don't want to be locked into a
proprietary solution.  I would like to know however, real hardware
configurations (mainframe and unix), network hardware (tokenring,
eithernet, sneakerNet) and software (TCP, NFS, SNA, APPC, ?)
configurations,  and any other special software configurations.

I am also interested in connectivity concepts; ways of sharing
data.   The way I see it, distributing data across a multi-machine
network can be categorized in three groups,  application packet
passing, full file transfer, & network packet passing.  Do you
argee with this or have I been smoking to much nuclear waste?

Application Packet Passing (client/server technology) -
     The application bundles its data and sends it to another
     application.  These two application use a specific protocol,
     i.e. APPC, NFS/RPC, TCP-SOCKETS.

Full file transfer -
     FTP, TAPE, ?  Transferring the data files from one machine two
another.

Network Packet Passing -
     NFS, ?  This is effectively like having a disk on another
     machine mounted to your local machine.  Your operating system
     thinks that this is a local disk.  This means that a program
     on one machine can perform data access to a file that is on
     another machine.

I know this is a big subject.  If you can help out in any one or
all of these areas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

John Casey

2. Installed a new arcade machine today

3. SNA via TCP/IP from IBM mainframe running PSF

4. Anyone know how to get around Signal 29 problem

5. TCP/IP connectivity on LAN

6. ISDN monitor

7. TCP/IP connectivity for NT and Linux

8. PPP and user privileges