tar > 2GB file

Post by LHradow » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:49:29

I have a HPUX 11.0, that hold a database on it. I want to tar and compress
the backup and send it to a offline backup storage. I get an error...
tar: Size of mydb/db4/hist_01.dbf > 2GB.  Not dumped.

This is because of the tar I am using? Or the OS that I am using?
Will getting GNUtar fix this problem?

Thanks

tar > 2GB file

Post by Jim Hollenba » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:41:04

: I have a HPUX 11.0, that hold a database on it. I want to tar and compress
: the backup and send it to a offline backup storage. I get an error...
: tar: Size of mydb/db4/hist_01.dbf > 2GB.  Not dumped.

: This is because of the tar I am using? Or the OS that I am using?
: Will getting GNUtar fix this problem?

From the tar manpage

     Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, tar does not
     support the archival of files larger than 2GB or files that have
     user/group IDs greater than 60K.  Files with user/group IDs greater
     than 60K are archived and restored under the user/group ID of the
     current process.

Guess it is the tar your using. I've heard that GNUtar does not have this
limitation. You should be able to get GNUtar from hpux.connect.org.uk or
one of the mirrors.

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.

tar > 2GB file

Post by Frank Thye » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:02:50

Quote:

>: This is because of the tar I am using? Or the OS that I am using?
>: Will getting GNUtar fix this problem?

> From the tar manpage

>      Because of industry standards and interoperability goals, tar does not
>      support the archival of files larger than 2GB or files that have
>      user/group IDs greater than 60K.  Files with user/group IDs greater
>      than 60K are archived and restored under the user/group ID of the
>      current process.

> Guess it is the tar your using. I've heard that GNUtar does not have this
> limitation. You should be able to get GNUtar from hpux.connect.org.uk or
> one of the mirrors.

If you are on 11.x then tar can handle up to 8GB files with a patch.
I can't find the appropriate patch for 11.0, I thought it existed, but here's the patch for 11i:

PHCO_26423
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?patchid=PHCO_264...

Regards
Frank

--
Religion kill humans!

tar > 2GB file

Post by Simon Water » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:32:52

tar > 2GB file

Post by LHradow » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:23:45

> > I have a HPUX 11.0, that hold a database on it. I want to tar and
compress
> > the backup and send it to a offline backup storage. I get an error...
> > tar: Size of mydb/db4/hist_01.dbf > 2GB.  Not dumped.

> > This is because of the tar I am using? Or the OS that I am using?
> > Will getting GNUtar fix this problem?

> I'm the kind of sad, old fashioned, Unix admin who never allows Oracle
> data files to exceed 2GB (actually I usually use 1GB, which was an old
> Oracle recommendation IIRC). Old habits die hard! Not sure I should
> recommend this luddite approach but it has served me well, and avoids a
> lot of stupid grief with 2GB file limits on back-ups, NFS, file systems
> etc. For as long as you name them simply, it is as easy to do something
> to files named 1,2,3,4, as it is to one large file, and even easier to
> rearrange files to spread I/O over disks and the like.

> You're getting plenty of advice that maybe you are pushing HP tar a
> little hard, yes I think GNU tar or star may be good alternatives for
> you, you should also consider HP-UX 'fbackup' depending on your
> archiving needs, it probably has more "exposure" on HP-UX, and is
> particularly good for backup to tape.

> Whilst I don't like proprietary solutions you may find it fits your
> needs better, especially if you can be confident you are only restoring
> to HP-UX systems.

> I think most "tars" now know to exclude the tar archive being created
> (GNU and star do), although I'm not logging into the nearest HP-UX box
> to find out if HP's does.

> The 2Gb question is more than adequately answered before - www.deja.com
> is your friend.

I figured out the problem, the problem had "nolargefiles" associated with
it. Tar works file with gzip.
Thanks for all the help...

1. What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

I have an old HP-UX (Version 10.2) system with a version of NFS which
is restricted to a 2GB maximum file size. What would happen if I NFS
mount a Linux system which contains files larger than 2GB? Disaster or
just truncating the large files?

2. Open Reel Tape Device Drivers

3. tar to tape >2GB

4. How to execute a single cmd over ssh?

5. tar > 2gb

6. SuperUser <s>

7. Large File System Enabling/File > 2GB

8. optimizing preprocessor for xlf

9. Get >>> 1GB / 2GB <<<< USB Flash Memory Drive

10. tar doesn't handle 2GB+ files

11. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?

12. tar and 2gb files