Guide to "X", "Open" and "Objects"

Post by Paul F. Ku » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 01:23:13

> OpenStep   Next's operating system (NextStep) ported to PC hardware.

   Thanks for the clarifying article, but you got this one wrong.

OpenStep is an X-Windows GUI API with Display PostScript imaging
model.

   It will probably be first delivered by SUN under Solaris as port of
project DOE (Distributed Objects Everywhere).  The next major release
of NeXTSTEP (the OS) for PCs, HPPA, and SPARC will conform to the
OpenStep API standard.  One also expects OpenStep from DEC for OSF/1.
There's also a GNUStep project in the works.

--

Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Stanford University
Voice: (415) 926-2884   (NeXT) Fax: (415) 926-3587

Guide to "X", "Open" and "Objects"

Post by Steven D. Majews » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 05:58:17

>A guide for the perplexed:

Nice Job!
You can add

OpenGL          SGI's Graphics Library ported to non-SGI hardware

However --

Quote:>OpenDoc             Apple's object-oriented document standard.

OpenDoc is not really Apple's. It is owned by Computer Integration
Labs -  a non profit organization with a number of members, including
Apple, IBM, WordPerfect, Xerox, Adobe, and others. OpenDoc is a
collection of technologies and a framework to allow building component,
document centered software. I think much of the architectural direction
and enabling technology came from Apple, but others come from other
members ( IBM's SOM - System Object Model - for example. )

A minor point, but since part of the humorous subtext of your note was
how often the word "open" is used for proprietary technology, I think
the ownership is significant. ( In the world of consortia, I'ld place
CI-Labs as a notch less "open" than the X-consortium, for example, and
considerably more "open" than either OSF or OMG [There's another one!] )

Open Scripting Architecture [OSA] - One of Apple's contributions to
OpenDoc, but the "open" was used before that to indicate a protocol
for any scripting language to talk to and control any Mac application.
( If they both conform to OSA ) As part of OpenDoc, this protocol is
being ported to other platforms.

CORBA  -- Common Object Request Broker Architecture
COM  -- Component Object Model  [MS]
COM  -- Common Object Model     [DEC]

---|  Computer Systems Engineer          University of *ia  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  Box 449 Health Science Center    C*tesville,VA 22908  |---

Guide to "X", "Open" and "Objects"

Post by Robert L. Holder » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 16:27:31

Quote:>Open DataBase Connectivity (ODBC) - Microsoft db independent layer
>                                said to be dying (InfoWorld 8/29/94)

And BYTE magazine said Unix was dead. Quit believing trade rag
bullshit. ODBC rules.

Guide to "X", "Open" and "Objects"

Post by Tom Tulins » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 06:41:15

Quote:>X/Open                  A consortium of companies trying to standardize Unix.
>                Has no connection with X-Windows, except perhaps to include
>                it as a standard?

X/Open does include the X libraries as part of the standard (I think
based on X11R3, though).

Quote:>OpenStep        Next's operating system (NextStep) ported to PC hardware.

NEXTSTEP is a windowing system based on Display PostScript, a BSD
flavor of unix running on top of a Mach kernel, and a set of graphical
objects.  Th important thing to understand about NEXTSTEP (note the
spelling) is that it is an operating system, and has been ported to
motorola processors (NeXT hardware), Intel platforms, HP PA-RISC
platforms, and NeXT is currently working on a port to Sparc.  These
are all native ports, not something running on top of another Unix
variant.  For instance, on the HP PA-RISC, the running kernel is the
Mach kernel, not the HP-UX kernel and you cannot run HP-UX
applications under NS for HP.

Openstep (not sure of the spelling) on the other hand is a port of the
Display PostScript windowing system and the object-oriented graphical
programming running on top of the version of Unix more typically
thought of on the system.  For instance, there is work underway for a
port of Openstep running on top of Solaris on the Sparc, as well as a
port of NEXTSTEP running natively on the Sparc.  These are two
different, in-binary-compatible beasts.

Hope this helps,
--

Tom Tulinsky    Los Angeles CA