timings in semaphores and shared memory.

timings in semaphores and shared memory.

Post by Sandeep R. Deshpand » Wed, 09 May 2001 01:21:14

Hi,
Could anyone tell me where can I find the timings in various interprocess
communication like semaphores and shared memory and message queues.

Thanks,
Sandeep R. Deshpande.

timings in semaphores and shared memory.

Post by Jens.Toerr.. » Wed, 09 May 2001 01:53:49

Quote:> Could anyone tell me where can I find the timings in various interprocess
> communication like semaphores and shared memory and message queues.

What do you mean with timings in this context?
                                                 Jens
--
      _  _____  _____

  _  | |  | |    | |          AG Moebius, Institut fuer Molekuelphysik
 | |_| |  | |    | |          Fachbereich Physik, Freie Universitaet Berlin
  \___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring   Tel: ++49 (0)30 838 - 53394 / FAX: - 56046

timings in semaphores and shared memory.

Post by yupi » Thu, 10 May 2001 00:16:03

I don't know timings, but  ...  Do you know a commnad 'ipcs' ?

Quote:> Hi,

Post by brian hile » Thu, 31 May 2001 10:26:47

Quote:> Could anyone tell me where can I find the timings in various interprocess
> communication like semaphores and shared memory and message queues.

I think he means: "what are the various benchmarks between the IPC
methods of shared memory, semaphores, and SVR2 message queues, that
one is the most fast and/or efficient of the three?"

Shared memory and semaphores are by far the fastest of the three.
I do not distinguish between these two because efficiency/speed is
greatly affected by the implementation details of the particular OS.

Keep in mind that it _always_ depends on what you intend to do.
The additional programming and debugging with one technique (say:
semaphores, which are very low-level) versus a higher-level approach
(say: SV messages, which are relatively high-level) may not make
it worthwhile to gain an extra 30% (to think of an arbitrary value)
speedup.

=Brian

1. Producers/Consumers and shared memory/semaphores

Anyone,
I'm looking for a site or resource that will help me with a programming
project in C to
solve a lab for an OS class. I'm to write a program that is similar to the
init process except that
it takes as an argument an initfile which contains the name of a program
that spawns child
processes and implements producers and consumers.  The main program prints
out pid's,
index numbers of the shared segments, date/time and a generic producer or
consumer statement.
I have some resources such as Stevens' "Advance Programming in the Unix
Environment"
but I still need something/someone to bounce ideas off of.
Thanks in advance.
Kent

2. SiS 620 in Linux

3. Problem with semaphores/shared memory

4. Lexmark 2070 col. jetprinter

5. /etc/system and shared memory/semaphores

6. ndbm for linux (was Re: gdm and Apache)

7. Assigning semaphore and shared memory keys

8. exec rsh freezes fvwm2

9. shared memory and semaphores

10. i want to get example source about semaphore & shared memory

11. shared memory semaphores / pthread mutexes?

12. Q: semaphores & shared memory

13. Tuning Semaphores and Shared Memory parameters in Slackware Linux 2.0.35