Looking for reference to research on UNIX usage and expertise - Bloatware

Looking for reference to research on UNIX usage and expertise - Bloatware

Post by Ron Zen » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:28:12

I'm having no luck finding a research paper that reported on the usage of
various features UNIX and how there were few common features used by UNIX
experts.  There may have been more than one paper.  I'm guessing published
in the 80's.  The only published research I know of that supports the
arguments for bloatware.

I'd appreciate the references or suggestions on how to track them down.  I'm
also interested in any other studies on software usage that could support or
refute the rationalizations for bloatware (Studies as opposed to articles
containing unsupported arguments or numbers.)

Thanks,

- Ron Zeno
  http://ronz.blogspot.com

Looking for reference to research on UNIX usage and expertise - Bloatware

Post by Dan » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:01:53

Quote:> I'm having no luck finding a research paper that reported on the usage of
> various features UNIX and how there were few common features used by UNIX
> experts.  There may have been more than one paper.  I'm guessing published
> in the 80's.  The only published research I know of that supports the
> arguments for bloatware.

> I'd appreciate the references or suggestions on how to track them down.
I'm
> also interested in any other studies on software usage that could support
or
> refute the rationalizations for bloatware (Studies as opposed to articles
> containing unsupported arguments or numbers.)

> Thanks,

> - Ron Zeno
>   http://ronz.blogspot.com

First off, I have no ideas for you on where to look.

The terminology you use is confusing me a bit, and maybe hindering your
search.  I am wondering if you meant applications or tools versus "common
features".  For instance if you looked for studies on usage of shells or
archive/backup methods you may be able to get a good stack going.  I was
going to suggest security also, but there were not many to choose from in
the 80's so I wouldn't think there would be much.

Good luck to you!

Post by John Atwo » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 05:48:11

>> I'm having no luck finding a research paper that reported on the usage of
>> various features UNIX and how there were few common features used by UNIX
>> experts.  There may have been more than one paper.  I'm guessing published
>> in the 80's.  The only published research I know of that supports the
>> arguments for bloatware.

>> I'd appreciate the references or suggestions on how to track them down.
>I'm
>> also interested in any other studies on software usage that could support
>or
>> refute the rationalizations for bloatware (Studies as opposed to articles
>> containing unsupported arguments or numbers.)

>> Thanks,

A papaer by Draper comes to mind, "The Nature of Expertise in UNIX".
Can't find it online, but the idea is summarized here (2nd paragraph of
the Intro):   http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/ctl/mayes/paper2.html

I'd look to the literature on software reuse for rationalizations for
bloatware, some leading authors are Griss, Tracz, Garlan, Shaw.

John

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:57:09

>>> I'm having no luck finding a research paper that reported on the usage of
>>> various features UNIX and how there were few common features used by UNIX
>>> experts.  There may have been more than one paper.  I'm guessing published
>>> in the 80's.  The only published research I know of that supports the
>>> arguments for bloatware.

>>> I'd appreciate the references or suggestions on how to track them down.
>>I'm
>>> also interested in any other studies on software usage that could support
>>or
>>> refute the rationalizations for bloatware (Studies as opposed to articles
>>> containing unsupported arguments or numbers.)

>>> Thanks,
>A papaer by Draper comes to mind, "The Nature of Expertise in UNIX".
>Can't find it online, but the idea is summarized here (2nd paragraph of
>the Intro):   http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/ctl/mayes/paper2.html

Thanks for that link.  Looks like the original would be an
interesting paper.

Bill

--

1. Looking for UNIX expertise (security/data recovery)

I hope I am not posting this in the wrong place, or violating the spirit of
this newsgroup. If so please tell me (no flames necessary!) and perhaps
someone can point me in the right direction.

We are a company that offers computer forensics services to corporate
clients. I am looking for someone to assist in a case involving UNIX (which
is not our area of expertise!) We will compensate you for your services.

Someone in either the Los Angeles or Denver areas would be best, but not
necessary.

If someone can reply to me directly, it would be greatly appreciated. I
will provide the details then.

Thank You,

Richard J. Serrano
Team400 Inc.

2. RESULT: your favourite shells.

3. Apache 1.3.2 w/ PHP 3.0.4 .htaccess not accessible bug fix

4. stealth 64 Vram PCI

5. ISO: Technical references/expertise/assistance to add X input method support to Solaris

6. OpenBSD free ???

7. Looking for a free unix shell [research purpose only]

8. Looking for sysadmin expertise

9. Looking for Unix Reference Card

10. Looking for sysadmin expertise