Help required with buying a Unix system!

Help required with buying a Unix system!

Post by Chri » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

I have a client that is currently running SCO Unix and CAD software
on a 486 DX33, 8Mb RAM, 200Mb HD, Irwin tape drive.

He has asked me to provide an updated system and I have the following
clone system in mind.

        Pentium  166Mhz
        16 MB RAM
        2 GB SCSI Hard disk
        Quad spin CD-ROM drive (SCSI)
        Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI controller
        HP Superstor 2 GB DAT back up device
        Idek 17" SVGA monitor (1280 x 1024)
        Diamond Stealth 64 video card (2MB VRAM)
        MS-Mouse and Cherry keyboard

How ever, I have no experience with Unix, and I am unsure about the
above system and wonder if it is suitable for the job.

I am in some doubt about the software as well.  Will I need special
drivers, updates / patches, back up software.

I would be very pleased with any help offered.

Thanks in anticipation!

Chris Blunt

1. Help requied with buying a Unix system!

[...]

2. Unix Audio Files

3. HELP required --- want to buy a computer for running LINUX

4. Panic: kmem_free

5. Disk space required for Unix Operating System?

6. Pb with standard output error

7. Unix Systems Administrators required

8. system backup question

9. Need recommendations for buying UNIX system

10. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

11. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

12. buying a new system, please help specify components.

13. Help: scanner Best Buy 9630 S on Linux System