symbolic links

Post by Paolo Frances » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

In Digital Unix 4.x and Ultrix 4.3x how can I prevent user from doing
symbolic links to files owned from other users?
Thanks in advance.
--
                                                Paolo Francese

symbolic links

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> In Digital Unix 4.x and Ultrix 4.3x how can I prevent user from doing
> symbolic links to files owned from other users?
> Thanks in advance.
> --
>                                                 Paolo Francese

You can't. A symbolic link is basically just a text string and I can
make it anything I want. (I can make a symboli clink to something that
doesn't exist if I want to be dumb.) However, when I try to actually
access the file it points to, that file's permissions govern what I can
do. So why would you want to mess with what I do?
--
Kurt J. Lanza

symbolic links

Post by Gregg E Econom » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Announce to all users that if you find anyone doing this, you will take
them to a dark alley and break their kneecaps.
You'd be amazed at how quickly your users fall in line!
(joking, of course)

happy hacking,
isildur

Quote:>In Digital Unix 4.x and Ultrix 4.3x how can I prevent user from doing
>symbolic links to files owned from other users?
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>                                            Paolo Francese

1. Too many symbolic links, Symbolic link loop

Hello,

I'm fighting with a FreeBSD machine. Roughly what I'm up to: I clean
installed FreeBSD, with the DES option. The goal is to set up an Apache
on the machine. Then I performed a rdist from a BSDI machine, importing
stuff like password file, user directories, user quotas, shells. The
Apache works
just fine, but when I try to run Perl I get stuck with the error
message:
"Too many symbolic links" (under bash), "Symbolic link loop" (under sh).
I've
scanned through my symbolic links w/o finding something striking.
Basically, the
links I have are "shortcuts to shells", some links to user logs...
Anyone seen this kind of problem? Anyone solved it? How?

        Cheers

                Michael
--
Michael Hallgren, Easynet France
Write : http://www.loria.fr/tex

2. 2.5.42 compile error in timers/timer_tsc.c

3. symbolic link not a real link

4. Getting "id: cannot find name for group 100" when Logging On to Redhat Linux 7.2

5. kill symbolic link along with the linked file?

6. Zombie Processes

7. symbolic link not a real link

8. POP3 for SCO

9. regular link of a symbolic link

10. A hard link or a symbolic link?

11. find: cannot follow symbolic link sym-link

12. symbolic link with flags on link?

13. hard links and symbolic links