Problems: The Reply

Post by Steven Di » Sun, 31 Oct 1993 00:59:59

Quote:>X seems to demand utmp world writable to write in logins from X

It is OpenWindows and SunView , not X that requires utmp to be world wriable.

Problems: The Reply

Post by Juergen Schmidt t20 » Tue, 02 Nov 1993 01:29:44

> )>BTW, why are these bozos allowed to edit the utmp? Sounds like your
> )>sysadmin should tighten things up a bit!!!
> )
> )X seems to demand utmp world writable to write in logins from X
> You can run xterm as suid root, or (probably better) make it setgid to
> whatever group /etc/utmp is and make /etc/utmp group writable.
>  -Tom

No, don't do that. As far as I understood, the major reason for the suid-ness
of xterm is not utmp, but the need to chown pty's. Just leaving away the suid
flag opens your terminal for intruders (i.e. you're trading a hole for a
hollow).
--

                     Juergen Schmidt

phone: 0941  943  2040