Multiple CPU's and Monitors Single keyboard and mouse

Multiple CPU's and Monitors Single keyboard and mouse

Post by David Chave » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Has anybody had any success in running UNIX in a a configuration with
Multiple CPU's (stand alone machines not internal CPU's) and monitors with a
single mouse and keyboard.  Ideally, the end user would be able to click an
icon on the desktop and it would transfer the keyboard/mouse to what ever
computer selected.  Even more ideal if you could do the same thing but throw
an NT box in the mix and with one keyboard/mouse go back and forth to any
machine you want.

I have seen this for NT but not for UNIX.  Anyone with any knowledge on this
subject???

Thank You!!!

Post by Jeffrey M. Vinoc » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Has anybody had any success in running UNIX in a a configuration with
>Multiple CPU's (stand alone machines not internal CPU's) and monitors with a
>single mouse and keyboard.  Ideally, the end user would be able to click an
>icon on the desktop and it would transfer the keyboard/mouse to what ever
>computer selected.  Even more ideal if you could do the same thing but throw
>an NT box in the mix and with one keyboard/mouse go back and forth to any
>machine you want.

I was hoping someone else would have a useful response, but since
it seems otherwise...

I don't know of any software-type interface that handles this
(you could always write your own, of course), but it is usually
fairly easy to locate manual switchboxes for pretty much any type
of cable, and just have users turn a dial.

If you post more information about what you're trying to do
someone may have a better idea, though.  For example, if all the
machines are networked, you can have only one with a monitor and
be able to access all the others over the network.
--

Everybody already knows that I *am* a snooty Brit.
    --Alistair J. R. Young, in the Monastery

Multiple CPU's and Monitors Single keyboard and mouse

Post by Icarus Spar » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anybody had any success in running UNIX in a a configuration with
>Multiple CPU's (stand alone machines not internal CPU's) and monitors with a
>single mouse and keyboard.  Ideally, the end user would be able to click an
>icon on the desktop and it would transfer the keyboard/mouse to what ever
>computer selected.  Even more ideal if you could do the same thing but throw
>an NT box in the mix and with one keyboard/mouse go back and forth to any
>machine you want.

We put a small Sun with 2 8-port serial cards on it as a 'console server'
for our machine room. Normally we run an 'xterm' to each line. Since I
can log into the console server remotely I have had to make MANY fewer
visits to the machine room to kick machines, as I can take over the line.
A big screen does help! I also submitted patches to 'rxvt' so it would
de-iconify if it received a 'bell' character, for simular reasons.

It helps to have a slightly non-standard RS232 cable, as a Sun will take
a 'break' signal to be a request to drop into the Firmware monitor, and
we don't want a fuse blowing on the console server to take out all of our
production servers.

Icarus

1. multiple monitors, keyboards, and mice to one single PC

I see. If win98 can do it then Linux should be able to do this as well.
But there's another bed aspect to this business of attaching
multiple terminals to one PC:

The extension cords that connect the monitor to the PC box can't be longer
than 2 meters or so or the image won't appear clearly. I don't see why
this should happen. After all ethernet wires can be pretty long and yet
the images are conveyed properly. I say that even if Linux or win98
manages to do:

"multiple terminals with one workstation"

it will have to be in some sort of round table setting with one
computer box in the middle. I wanted to be able to do 2 terminals,
one in a room, one in another room, and the PC in yet another room
perhaps. It seems that this is not at all feasible unless you have real
X terminals.

Best Regards,

Neil Zanella

--
Neil Zanella

2. Is ARP broke?

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Two interesting X problems (RH 7.3/KDE3 @ Celeron 500/Intel i810)

5. Controlling Multiple Monitors with 1 mouse/keyboard

6. Netscape plug-ins

7. Multiple Keyboards, Monitors, Mice?

8. Host problems

9. Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor Switch , keyboard drops out

10. Reasonable CPU Load on Single and Multiple-Processor Sun boxes

11. building multi-cpu single monitor switch

12. Switching a single keyboard and monitor between 2 computers

13. Multiple Monitors for a single X Windows session