Why does compress produce whatever.ext.Z rather than z/whatever.ext?

Post by Arthur David Ols » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 18:56:00

Why does compress produce whatever.ext.Z rather than z/whatever.ext?
It would seem that the z/whatever.ext approach would avoid problems with
14-character filename limits on some UNIX systems and with
doubly dotted filename problems on MS-DOS systems.
--

Why does compress produce whatever.ext.Z rather than z/whatever.ext?

Post by Leslie Mikese » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 21:32:00

Quote:>Why does compress produce whatever.ext.Z rather than z/whatever.ext?

My choice would be to encode the old filename inside the file and shorten
the new filename if necessary.

  Les Mikesell

1. Need Write Access to Linux ext-fs from DOS/Win95!

Hi, there,

I tried to re-partition my SCSI HD during the weekend
to recover some space. Somehow, the partition number
for the two Linux partitions (from sda8 & sda9 to
sda6 & sda7). Now Linux won't boot.

I think I have to modify these two files:
lilo.conf
fstab
(is there any files I have to modify?)

Of course, I don't have a Linux boot disk!
Is there any SW out there that allow me to edit these
files from DOS/Win95?

Can I jump to a shell from Redhat 6.1 installation
CD?

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Roger Shum

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Tar can't open /dev/rmt0, but it's in there!

3. Ext Lang: was Re: A Linux OS done in Corba.

4. Apache - SSL cant start.

5. LILO+not LBA, Ext. DOS partitions? help!

6. RH 7.2 installation on Acer TravelMate 630

7. X only works with ext monitor in my laptop (why?)

8. IPF default deny problem

9. Whatever happened to ipmasqadm module?

10. Whatever happened to debug_malloc() in Solaris 2.x?

11. NCurses v1.9.whatever

12. Fortunes (or whatever the heck they are :)

13. modem/NS/whatever config ?