How can we set up a modem pool ?

Post by Trinary Systems I » Mon, 29 Aug 1994 17:03:44

        I am a system administrator for a small company which
desperately needs a modem pool to streamline access into and out of
our in house development systems.  Currently, we are supporting
several flavors of unix, vms, and mpe/ix on multiple platforms.
        We have interesting problems in our machine room because all
of our modems are connected directly to an outgoing phone line.  If a
particular line (or modem) isn't currently in use and someone needs
it for something, they yank the line or modem off it's connection and
put it somewhere else.  If we are lucky, they ask one of the systems
people to do it, but we aren't much better off, really, since we
sometimes (not too often... uh..) forget to put lines back, etc...
        Anyway, the whole system is bogus and untenable.  I
looked at a some dedicated hardware solutions, but the cost seems
awfully high (2500$ +).  Is there some way to connect multiple
modems to a dedicated pc running unix to handle incoming/outgoing
calls?  Is there some way to avoid this crufty phone line
situation without spending big money ?  Any help with this would be
deeply appreciated.... mail replies to :

                                              Thanks - JLL

How can we set up a modem pool ?

Post by Vassili Leon » Thu, 01 Sep 1994 01:31:55

:

:         I am a system administrator for a small company which
: desperately needs a modem pool to streamline access into and out of
: our in house development systems.  Currently, we are supporting
: several flavors of unix, vms, and mpe/ix on multiple platforms.
:         We have interesting problems in our machine room because all
: of our modems are connected directly to an outgoing phone line.  If a
Looks like you need an intelligent PBX to share phone lines between
modems and other users. I dont quite understand what's scarce -
modems, phone lines, serial lines or both :-) ?
Vassili.

How can we set up a modem pool ?

Post by Rashid Karim » Thu, 01 Sep 1994 17:31:29

                Hi netters !

:         We have interesting problems in our machine room because all
: of our modems are connected directly to an outgoing phone line.  If a

        Sorry ?
        Do you mean you have N modems ( N >1 ) and only one phone line ?

: particular line (or modem) isn't currently in use and someone needs
: it for something, they yank the line or modem off it's connection and
: put it somewhere else.  If we are lucky, they ask one of the systems
: people to do it, but we aren't much better off, really, since we
: sometimes (not too often... uh..) forget to put lines back, etc...

        They shouldn't physically disconnect it !
        I have a modem pool , and one phone line is shared between
        a modem & my Panasonic phone. When I need to give some1 a buzz
        I just look - does line is  busy . If not , I jus pick up the
        hook & make a call. Modems typically have extra jack at rear
        panel for parallel device.
        When modem is on-hook ( is using the line ) , it disconnect
        that jack from line so if some1 pick the horn trying to make
        a call , it will not make a damage to transimition.

:         Anyway, the whole system is bogus and untenable.  I
: looked at a some dedicated hardware solutions, but the cost seems
: awfully high (2500$ +).  Is there some way to connect multiple
: modems to a dedicated pc running unix to handle incoming/outgoing
: calls?  Is there some way to avoid this crufty phone line

        Sure ! And it's easy ! And it ( w/o modems ) doesn't cost
        2500 bucks !
        If your modem pool is about ~4-8 units , & you can afford
        dedicated computer to run as communication server , just
        buy cheap & dumb 8-port card ( they cost about 130 $ even
        in Russia !) . They ( cards ) are supported by default
        by almost all PC based Unices ( there is some mystery with FreeBSD
        and more than 4-port cards ).

        There are tons of more effictive & less-resource-consuming
        serial card - up to couple of hundred ports per card !
        Some team members :

        Digiboard, Stallione , BocaBoard .
        16-port Digiboard cost ~800-1000 $. Plays OK - at least at one
        of my SCO OSE 3.0 based Pentiums.

        Most of Unices allow to use the same line for both
        dial-in & dial-out ( there is some difference how easy
        it is ).

        SY
        RK

1. Aautodial modem from Modem pool using Proxy

Hello all,

I have the following Question.

How can client in a Network initiated to start automaticly a modem
from a Poll of Modems through a Proxy.

Example; A have 5 Clients(Web Client), 1 Proxy-Server (Linux), 10
Modems Connected to the Proxy. How can i solve that the client takes
allways the free available Modem ?. Any suggestions for the Proxy
(SQUID ?), for the Model-Pool Manager(Diald ?)?

Thanks

2. Linux Installation Problem

3. Server sharing multiple modems between workstations, modem pool

4. ipgrab 0.9.6 - verbose packet sniffer

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. multi-process + multi-thread servers?

7. Bio pool & scsi scatter gather pool usage

8. XFree86's Xconfig: vertical sync problem -- PLEASE!

9. Using processor sets in Solaris pools

10. setting pool of processors

11. Question about pool/cpu set

12. client software for modem pool server?

13. Modem pooling under Linux