unix t-shirts

Post by mi.. » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 14:35:00

ssfle (small snack for line eater)

i would dearly love to get my little claws on a "real" UNIX t-shirt.
a guy working in my last place of employment had one. it was a blue
shirt with the legend "UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories"
across the front. i offered to trade him my "luxo" (pixar) t-shirt
but he refused (i still don't understand how he could have refused),
so does anybody out there in netland know where i can get one?
(actually two of them, one of them for me, another for a friend)

(there used to be a company in SF called "The Independent UNIX Bookstore"
that advertised in UNIX review, and claimed to have such shirts, but i
can find no trace of them today. does anyone know what happened to them?)

Mike Nemeth                          "You are what you know." - James Burke
...utzoo!hcr!miken

unix t-shirts

Post by usrgr.. » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 15:50:00

/usr/group/cdn has T-shirts.  They are white, with a blue license plate
motiv.  Something like this:

______________ ____ _____________
\             \____/            /
 \__                         __/
   |  --------------------  |
   |  |  /usr/group/cdn  |  |
   |  |      U N I X     |  |
   |  |yours to discover |  |
   |  --------------------  |
   |                        |
   |                        |
   |                        |
   |                        |
   --------------------------
They usually sell for $15.  (100% cotton, made in Canada)

The 2nd annual UniXmas Extravaganza will be on Wed Dec 9, 1830, at the
Metro Toronto Board of Trade, 3rd Floor, First Canadian Place.

This is an invitation-only event, for members and VIPs.

New members, who take out a general membership ($100) at the party will
be admitted to the party ($20 worth of food and drink alone)
+ get a complimentary T-shirt

[BTW, the benefits you get in publications alone (CommUNIXations, product
catalog) exceed membership fees already. -- contact me for details]

[BTW+, I think this T-shirt is a bit tacky, but I do wear it to Unix Unanimous
meetings.  If anyone knows about T-shirt technology, and is interested in
producing a really attractive one, (perhaps a "tee | shirt") please contact me.]

[BTW++, I better not add yet another BTW -- my Hayes modem might over-react.]

Peter Renzland  416/964-9141  VP,  (User Services)      mnetor!ontmoh!peter
/usr/group/cdn  The Canadian Network of UNIX Users
utgpu!usrgroup
Administrative  Office  416/259-8122  241 Gamma St  ETOBICOKE  Ont  M8W 4G7

unix t-shirts

Post by Dave Turn » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 16:36:00

>i would dearly love to get my little claws on a "real" UNIX t-shirt.
>a guy working in my last place of employment had one. it was a blue
>shirt with the legend "UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories"

I have a UNIX t-shirt that is about 10 or 11 years old that I still like
and would like to have another.

It has a picture of a 11/70 with lots of pipes, cute little demons with forks,
a /dev/null bit bucket, etc.

It was produced by a company named: Tri-Color located somewhere around Ohio or
Illinois.

I was cute and much nicer than the blue t-shirt.

--
Dave Turner     415/542-1299    {ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

unix t-shirts

Post by Ross Alexand » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 11:56:00

> I was cute and much nicer than the blue t-shirt.

Well, if you say so, Dave.  But there may be other opinions out there ;-)
Perhaps that should be cross-posted to soc.singles or whatever?
[ sorry, Dave, but I just _had_ to post.  I know it was a typo... ]

BTW, does anyone remember the QED t-shirt; the one with "WMXPL" (world's
most expensive programming language) and the nifty RE on the back?  Mine
wore out years ago, and I wouldn't mind replacing it.

alberta!auvax!rwa

unix t-shirts

Post by j.. » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 12:05:00

> > I was cute and much nicer than the blue t-shirt.

> Well, if you say so, Dave.  But there may be other opinions out there ;-)
> Perhaps that should be cross-posted to soc.singles or whatever?
> [ sorry, Dave, but I just _had_ to post.  I know it was a typo... ]

[ and if that's true, then I guess this should have been posted in
  rec.auto ;-) ]

Quote:> BTW, does anyone remember the QED t-shirt; the one with "WMXPL" (world's
> most expensive programming language) and the nifty RE on the back?  Mine
> wore out years ago, and I wouldn't mind replacing it.

When I was an undergrad visiting-groupie at Xavier in N.O. LA, there was
a visiting professor from Bell Labs who had a cardboard Unix License plate
* on the wall.  It was blue and white, with the word UNIX in big
letters across the middle.  On the bottom was that famous phrase
`Is a trademark of Bell Labs', and across the top, the New Hampshire state
motto, `Live Free or Die'.

The story is that once upon a time, DEC had several of these things made up
for people at the Labs.  Mike (whose last name I forget, he used to work at
pyuxqq) had one made out of cardboard.  I would pay good money to get one
made out of the real thing for my car.

- John.

--
John F. Haugh II                  SNAIL:  HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!jfh                11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

unix t-shirts

Post by Frederick M. Avol » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 11:15:00

Is anyone else feeling old?  I mean it seems like only yesterday, but
there are a lot of youngsters who are out there, making more money than me
probably (:-)) who were just kids when the UNIX plates were made...

Anyway:

At a UNICOMM of a few years back (hey, that dates me, eh?)  Armando -- one of the
handful of UNIX Engineers within DEC at the time (this was before ULTRIX and
before System III  for that matter) --
wanted to be able to say that now you could get a UNIX license from DEC!
(Digression for the young'uns:  Used to be you had to buy a PDP or a VAX
with a DEC operating system license, even if you intended to run UNIX
on it -- which you couldn't buy from DEC at the time).  So, APS came
armed with  a bunch of NH lic. plate look-a-likes -- matching his own real
NH plate -- which Digital gave out in their suite.

Later, when ULTRIX was born, similar ones were made saying ULTRIX and in
blue (and these were not nearly as nice as the former  and whose
printing looked less like a "real" license plate).  Much later
The Phone Company had some made to give out at UNIXEXPO in NY which
1) were punched out of license plates, but 2) weren't printed as a license
plate -- i.e., they had multiple lines, no state motto, etc. (these
said System V), and so 3) finally killed the "joke."

Anyway, to the original poster, I'll sell you mine for $1000.00 ...
:-)

Oh, by the way, Jim Joyce's Book Store has a bunch of T-shirts ("UNIX...",
"/nev/dull", maybe the "awk bailing out...." ones too.

Fred

[ ULTRIX is a trademark of DEC which is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corp.
  UNIX as you very well know is a trademark of AT&T
  APS or aps is a trademark of Armando Paul Stettner
]

unix t-shirts

Post by Dave Turn » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 14:05:00

>> > I was cute and much nicer than the blue t-shirt.

Damned fingers!

Quote:>a visiting professor from Bell Labs who had a cardboard Unix License plate
>hanging on the wall.  It was blue and white, with the word UNIX in big
>letters across the middle.  On the bottom was that famous phrase
>`Is a trademark of Bell Labs', and across the top, the New Hampshire state
>motto, `Live Free or Die'.

>The story is that once upon a time, DEC had several of these things made up
>for people at the Labs.  Mike (whose last name I forget, he used to work at

I have two metal license plates; one for UNIX and one for ULTRIX.
Someone gave them to me; I believe that they came from a USENIX conference
and that DEC must have produced them.

One is green on white:

        Live Free or Die

                UNIX

        Trademark of Bell Labs*

The other is blue on white:

        Live Free or Die

                ULTRIX

        Trademark of Digital Equipment Corp

I don't know if they are still available.
I want to keep these. Sorry.

--
Dave Turner     415/542-1299    {ihnp4,lll-crg,qantel,pyramid}!ptsfa!dmt

unix t-shirts

Post by j.. » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 20:43:00

Anyone thinking about sending me mail saying you have a license plate, well,
don't bother.  Fif* minutes or so after posting I got a call from someone
who actually wanted to sell his.  Sorry.

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II                  SNAIL:  HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!killer!jfh                11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600
      ...!ihnp4!killer!rpp386!jfh         Dallas, TX. 75243
"Don't Have an Oil Well?  Then Buy One!"  (214) 231-0993

unix t-shirts

Post by dh.. » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 22:11:00

he had a UNIX license plate.

You can probably get one from your auto license office by paying extra,
so long as nobody else in the state already has one.

In a noncompetitive, noncommercial situation like this trade mark laws
don't really apply.  Besides, AT&T sells only software, not
automobiles, under the UNIX label, so there can be no possible
confusion.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

unix t-shirts

Post by John Slo » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 16:11:00

Since someone has brought up the topic, I too have been thinking about
possibilities for UNIX vanity plates. The one I like best so far is
"RMSTAR" (foo, now everyone will use that, I suppose; if you live in
Ohio, the least you could do would be to give me the first shot at it).
My motorcycle license plate frame has my UUCP address on top and on the
bottom "UNIX SQUID".

--
John Sloan                     Wright State University Research Center

...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan               (513) 259-1384   (513) 873-2491
Logic Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.

unix t-shirts

Post by Roger Southwick (rog.. » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 23:49:00

[Do not meddle in the affairs of Unix, for it is subtle and quick to core dump]

Ah, yes... the allusive UNIX license plate.  I got mine at one of the
vendors at a USENIX (perhaps jointly with Uniforum) convention.  Real
metal.  Really stamped out.  White with green letters.  Sorry I can't
remember more...it was a few years ago.

So they are out there...just be patient and keep looking...and no mine
is not for sale :-).

                UUCP:   {ihnp4 | decvax | ucbvax}!tektronix!dadla!rogers

unix t-shirts

Post by Jan Gr » Fri, 02 Nov 1990 14:18:00

>BTW, does anyone remember the QED t-shirt; the one with "WMXPL" (world's
>most expensive programming language) and the nifty RE on the back?  Mine
>wore out years ago, and I wouldn't mind replacing it.

On the front, mine says "qed" with interlocking letters a la the "yes" logo.
On the back, "eb/[^<>]|<\eb*>/", that is, match properly nested "<>"s.
More powerful than a regular regular expression!

Jan Gray   Microsoft Corp.   Redmond, WA

1. Unix License plates (was: unix t-shirts)

   >While down in San Jose attending the 'BayCon' SiFi Convention
   >A friend and I saw a California license plate "dev car"

How about MAPCAR for LISP hackers?

        National Bureau of Standards
        Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
        I appoint you ambassador to Fantasy Island!!!

2. Yaboot to install Linux, HOW?

3. Linux T-Shirts! Second Batch of Shirts.

4. Linux PPPD dialup server, win95 client negotiation problem

5. How to change the default color in a terminal ?

6. "Borg Gates" t-shirts available!

7. Local DNS

8. FreeBSD, Daemon T-shirts

9. Linux T-shirts