Executing a program from memory...

Post by Ia » Tue, 23 Nov 1993 19:57:39

This is probably an obscure concept, but I'm looking for some advise on how to
execute a program that exists in memory only.

Essentially, the file will be grabbed from somewhere else (aka nfs style)..
and I want to be able to run it without the need to save it to a file
( eg .nfs1234 ) .

As far as I can tell I need to simulate the start() code in crt0.c and the
actions performed by ld.so?? But as to what data areas and stuff and how to
initialise these I don't know.

Can anyone tell me if I'm losing touch with reality or offer some  information
that might help ?

Cheers
Ian

Executing a program from memory...

Post by Adrian Booth Computing Consultan » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 11:58:27

Quote:>This is probably an obscure concept, but I'm looking for some advise on how to
>execute a program that exists in memory only.
>Essentially, the file will be grabbed from somewhere else (aka nfs style)..
>and I want to be able to run it without the need to save it to a file
>( eg .nfs1234 ) .

You mean the program will come down, say, a telnet connection, and will
then be started up without leaving any tracks in the filesystem?

Why does this idea bother me?

 | Adrian Booth                                 |                         |
 | Adrian Booth Computing Consultants           |   Ph/Fax: (09) 354 4936 |

 | AUSTRALIA                                    |                         |
for a in past present future; do
        for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do
echo The opinions in this article in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b.
done;done

1. Memory problem for executing a fortran compiled program (aix 432)

Hello,
An RS6000 node with 1 Go RAM, 2 Go Swapspace, running AIX 432.
/etc/security/limits data are all set to -1 for both default and concerned
user account (except coredump and nofiles).
275 Mo Size Fortran Compiled program (no problem with compilation) executed
give the following error message :
0509-036 : Impossible to load the program due to followinbg error :
0509-026 : System Error, not enough memory available.

Thank you.

Jerome Asselin
System Support Engineer
Paris, France

2. 10/10 sound/oss/dmasound/dmasound_q40.c

3. execute program directly in memory

4. Vlans and Linuxbox routers

5. Executing another program from C program

6. Help on executables

7. Executing a program (shell script) from within a c program

8. Can /boot be on second drive? Doesn't work for me.

9. Executing programs within a program

10. Executing a program with in a program.

11. Need program to clean up after memory leaking programs

12. Cannot execute - not enough memory?!

13. executing in malloc'ed memory