Restricted Shell

Post by Roge » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Could someone help me fixing the following "problem"?
I am configuring a Linux-system on my PC in order to let others
log into my computer. (I didn't get any results in the Linux-newsgroups)

The only thing I need is a restricted shell so that foreign
users cannot get further than their own login-directory /home/username
I know I have to re-write or edit an existing shell, but I still
have problems creating one. Is there someone who could help me
providing me with such restricted shell for Linux?

Thanks very much! Greetings and happy New Year!
--
lt. Roger A.L. Arets
USAF Holland - cEGE Kerkrade

Restricted Shell

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Could someone help me fixing the following "problem"?
> I am configuring a Linux-system on my PC in order to let others
> log into my computer. (I didn't get any results in the Linux-newsgroups)

> The only thing I need is a restricted shell so that foreign
> users cannot get further than their own login-directory /home/username
> I know I have to re-write or edit an existing shell, but I still
> have problems creating one. Is there someone who could help me
> providing me with such restricted shell for Linux?

> Thanks very much! Greetings and happy New Year!

I don't know Linux specifically, but on every other unix system I've had
experience with, the Bourne shell can be run as a restricted shell. "man
sh" and READ the thing. There's a section about running restricted.
--
Kurt J. Lanza

1. restricted shell/restricting login

A while ago I posted a question about how to restrict logins to our
ultrix systems.  Someone sent me a C or shell script which I'm
embarassed to say I've misplaced.  I think is was called "syslogin".
Please re-send it to me, whoever you are (were).

Here's the problem I wish to solve:

What I want to do is split the modem pool into 2 numbers - one for
students and one for faculty/staff.

I want to the login procedure to check which terminal server a connection
is coming from.  The procedure should then check the account and see if that
account is entitled to connect from that terminal server...if so,
then continue normally, if not then print a message like "Please dial
the number xxx-xxxx".

We have DEC terminal servers (I don't wish to use lat groups) and
Ultrix 4.2a.

I'm certain I'm not re-inventing the wheel here.  Any comments, suggestions
and pointers are most welcome.

Thanks in advance...
-

Trent University Computing & Telecommunications  tel: (705)748-1540
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, K9J 7B8           fax: (705)748-1246

2. Origami

3. restricted shell or restricted access

4. FreeBSD Manual - Postscript/Text version ?

5. restricted shell - not so restrict

6. C++ and static linking

7. rksh shell, how do i stop .profile from loading in restricted shell

8. Why is sk_buff_head used?

9. Restricted Shell Script for Free Shell

10. using cd in restricted shell

11. Restricted Shell Account

12. Looking for a restricted shell.

13. Restricted shell and ftp