Problem printing large files with lpr

Post by krui » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

When printing large files we occassionaly get an error message implying
that the file was too large to print.  However, an lpq shows that a portion
of the file was send to the printer.

The printer is defined locally as a remote printer.  How do I determine if
the size limitation is a problem with the local or remote machine?  BTW, the
files are around 4 Mb in size and we are running SunOS 4.1.3.

Thanks,
Randy Kreuziger                                     (360) 664-3751
Computer Analsyt
Wash Dept of Fish & Wildlife
Olympia, WA

Post by Tim Butl » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

:When printing large files we occassionaly get an error message implying
:that the file was too large to print.  However, an lpq shows that a portion
:of the file was send to the printer.

Check to see how big the spool directory is, somewhere under /usr/spool/lpd

Or just use the option to lpr that makes a link in the spool directory
instead of copying it. (lpr -s on my system)

Post by Z. Ya » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

->When printing large files we occassionaly get an error message implying
->that the file was too large to print.  However, an lpq shows that a portion
->of the file was send to the printer.

lpr -s will make a symbolic link to the file instead of copying it to
spool

->The printer is defined locally as a remote printer.  How do I determine if
->the size limitation is a problem with the local or remote machine?  BTW, the
->files are around 4 Mb in size and we are running SunOS 4.1.3.

in /etc/printcap, check out you bufsize (field :mx#). ':mx#0' will make it
unlimited

->Thanks,
->Randy Kreuziger                                     (360) 664-3751
->Computer Analsyt
->Wash Dept of Fish & Wildlife
->Olympia, WA

1. large file printing problems with lpr

over the net. apparently the problem is with sending the file to the print server
since doing 'netstat' i keep getting the message SYNC-SENT, only occasionally
i get ESTABLISHED , but this is immediately followed by SYNC-SENT again.
Doing netstat -x gives "SEGMENTATION FAULT' . ftp-ing the files to another
site, and printing from there to the same printer works well (using AIX lpr).
It is not a size limitation in the spool directory, i put a mx#0 in the
printcap file. I am using linux 0.99.11 and NET-2 software.
lpc status usually gives: queuing enabled, printing enabled, sending to -
printer server-, 1 entry in spool area.  killing the process , emptying the queu
and restarting sometimes helps, once every 10 times or so the file gets through.

any suggestions as how to solve this by email please.

2. Kernel 2.4.22 iptables not NAT'ting outbound PPTP connections

3. Printing large files with lpr. HOW?

4. Making my YDL Machine Visible on ATALK NETWORK

5. Q: LPR printing error - file too large

6. How do I get icons to appear on directory listings?

7. printing large files with lpr

8. WordPerfect 8.0 on KDE

9. lpr printing error. copy file too large

10. Problem with lpr: copy file is too large

11. lpr - file too large problem

12. LPR Problem (Copy File is Too Large)

13. HELP: Postscript/lpr: Not printing large docs