Year 2000 problem

Post by nt.. » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Dear Folks!

Does anyone out there know how the Year 2000 problem might impact UNIX
systems? I'm talking about the representation of years as 2 digits.
This occurs on some systems (eg MVS), but I was wondering if any
problems will occur on UNIX as well. I am not a UNIX user myself, so I
was hoping someone who knows UNIX can enlighten me.

Thanks a lot,

Simon Buehring.

Year 2000 problem

Post by Mike Purdi » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Dear Folks!

> Does anyone out there know how the Year 2000 problem might impact UNIX
> systems? I'm talking about the representation of years as 2 digits.
> This occurs on some systems (eg MVS), but I was wondering if any
> problems will occur on UNIX as well. I am not a UNIX user myself, so I
> was hoping someone who knows UNIX can enlighten me.

> Thanks a lot,

> Simon Buehring.

Most issues with the year 2000 are really application issues, not operating systems
issues. Unix holds dates and times internally as the number of seconds since 1 January
970 (the epoch). It is only on conversion to a format you and I can use that the century
may get dropped. The programming language function calls within unix all support 4 digit
year data. It is only if an application programmer/designer got lazy (never happens of
course) and only allowed for 2 digit dates that there may be a problem.

Cheers
Mike Purdie

Year 2000 problem

Post by Oka Setiaw » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> Dear Folks!

>> Does anyone out there know how the Year 2000 problem might impact UNIX
>> systems? I'm talking about the representation of years as 2 digits.

>Most issues with the year 2000 are really application issues, not operating systems
>issues. Unix holds dates and times internally as the number of seconds since 1 January
>970 (the epoch). It is only on conversion to a format you and I can use that the century
>may get dropped. The programming language function calls within unix all support 4 digit
>year data.

-----
so, I guess Unix will have trouble if we get to year 10000 , eh?:)

outta here

Oka Setiawan

http://ee.tamu.edu/~oka

Year 2000 problem

Post by Abe Getchel » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >> Dear Folks!

> >> Does anyone out there know how the Year 2000 problem might impact UNIX
> >> systems? I'm talking about the representation of years as 2 digits.

> >Most issues with the year 2000 are really application issues, not operating systems
> >issues. Unix holds dates and times internally as the number of seconds since 1 January
> >970 (the epoch). It is only on conversion to a format you and I can use that the century
> >may get dropped. The programming language function calls within unix all support 4 digit
> >year data.
> -----
> so, I guess Unix will have trouble if we get to year 10000 , eh?:)

        I dunno, hopefully in 8000 years those kernel programmers
will figure something out! :)

--
----------------------------------
Abe L. Getchell

----------------------------------

Year 2000 problem

Post by Lucio Chiappet » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

|> > so, I guess Unix will have trouble if we get to year 10000 , eh?:)

   No need to wait that long.
   The count of seconds since 1 Jan 1970 0 UT as 32-bit integers
   will recycle some time in 2038.

       A member of  G.ASS : Group for Astronomical Software Support
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR     | Ma te' vugl' da' quost avis a ti' Orsign
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano  | Buttet rabios intant te se' pisnign

For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html