ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)

ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)

Post by John Tisaran » Fri, 29 Apr 1994 02:39:38

type software?  My group would like to be able to use our local network to
brainstorm and discuss various issues, much the way standard news works.  In
addition, we would like to be able to limit access to either the whole system,
or optimally to individual discussions.  It would be nice to be able to choose
from a list of topics, read the existing discussion archives, then post your
own 2 cents.  This functionality is common to PC/MAC bulletin boards, but
I can't remember seeing a UNIX implementation.

        I have been told that I could run a local version of NNTP and have
everyone point their news readers to it.  I am not sure how to limit access
if we do this, and it seems awkward to have to repoint your news reader.  We
may windo up doing this, but there HAS to be a better way.

John Tisaranni                          Tel:            (703)883-7418

Workstation System Engineering Center
7525 Colshire Drive, M.S. Z267, McLean, VA 22102

ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)

Post by Rene T. Fol » Fri, 13 May 1994 09:37:26

I have just set up Unixware and am getting to learn how to use it.  I
run a Major BBS on a DOS machine, and receive all of the news groups
over a satellite but do not have the software on the BBS to deal with
them all.  It is possible for me to Telnet from the BBS to my own Unix
box, and I would like to run an application on Unixware just to display
all of the Usenet Newsgroups that I get.  So here is the question.  Does
anyone know of any software that would do this well?  I would like to
import the data and have the ability for users to browse all newsgroups
and use QWK mail if possible.  If this is available commercially, or on
CD rom wit would be great, and I would appreciate the address and phone
number of the vendor.
Rene Thomas Folse

1. ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Type Application

software?  My group would like to be able to use our local network to
brainstorm and discuss various issues, much the way standard news works.  In
addition, we would like to be able to limit access to either the whole system,
or optimally to individual discussions.  It would be nice to be able to choose
from a list of topics, read the existing discussion archives, then post your
own 2 cents.  This functionality is common to PC/MAC bulletin boards, but
I can't remember seeing a UNIX implementation.

        I have been told that I could run a local version of NNTP and have
everyone point their news readers to it.  I am not sure how to limit access
if we do this, and it seems awkward to have to repoint your news reader.  We
may windo up doing this, nut there HAS to be a better way.

        Thanks for any help.  If this is not the correct newsgroup for this
request, please direct me to one that is appropriate.

John Tisaranni                          Tel:            (703)883-7418

Workstation System Engineering Center
7525 Colshire Drive, M.S. Z267, McLean, VA 22102

2. ATI 128, Redhat 5.2 and XFree 86 3.3.6

3. ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application

4. slow wuftpd and all xinetd services

5. Unix Bulletin Boards

6. corel linux installation problems, please help!!

7. Unix Based Bulletin Boards

8. whats the best CD burning software for linux?

9. Query for Info-UNIX bulletin board

10. Hosting bulletin board on a web site

11. Network monitoring bulletin board and forum

12. FREE Shopping Cart and Bulletin Board

13. New Linux Bulletin Board