server/vb - advice please

Post by gregor » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am in dire need of
advice.

I have an application, written in visual basic, which serves to receive
data over a TCP/IP connection, process the data and generate html
documents, all while sitting on the server hosting those same pages.  It
turns out that the server is unix, and when I try and execute my .exe, I
get garble.  How can I fix this?  I've heard about windows shells, but
am very unclear if this will solve anything.

Should I translate the vb to perl?  or seek out an NT server?  is there
a shell which will allow my .exe to run on unix?  any ideas?

thank you in advance,
gregori

server/vb - advice please

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am in dire need of
>advice.

>I have an application, written in visual basic, which serves to receive
>data over a TCP/IP connection, process the data and generate html
>documents, all while sitting on the server hosting those same pages.  It
>turns out that the server is unix, and when I try and execute my .exe, I
>get garble.  How can I fix this?  I've heard about windows shells, but
>am very unclear if this will solve anything.

>Should I translate the vb to perl?

yes.

The word of the day is mispergitude

server/vb - advice please

Post by bmar.. » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

   >I have an application, written in visual basic, which serves to
   >receive data over a TCP/IP connection, process the data and
   >generate html documents, all while sitting on the server hosting
   >those same pages.  It turns out that the server is unix, and when I
   >try and execute my .exe, I get garble.  How can I fix this?  I've
   >heard about windows shells, but am very unclear if this will solve
   >anything.
What do you mean by garble?  Does the program run at all?  I would think
not, but exactly what happens?

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

server/vb - advice please

Post by Jim Cambro » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Ah, Gregori -- the only stupid question is the question unasked...

UNIX and Microsoft Windows are two completely different critters -- like
Macs and PCs.

A "quick" solution would be to run your VB app on an NT server.

Another idea might be to have the VB app run on it's own Windows PC where it
"ftps" or otherwise copies the HTMLs it generates to the UNIX server as
necessary.  This solution keeps you from having to create a new NT box to
replace the Unix box.

Hope this helps...

Jim Cambron

Quote:> I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am in dire need of
> advice.

> I have an application, written in visual basic, which serves to receive
> data over a TCP/IP connection, process the data and generate html
> documents, all while sitting on the server hosting those same pages.  It
> turns out that the server is unix, and when I try and execute my .exe, I
> get garble.  How can I fix this?  I've heard about windows shells, but
> am very unclear if this will solve anything.

> Should I translate the vb to perl?  or seek out an NT server?  is there
> a shell which will allow my .exe to run on unix?  any ideas?

> thank you in advance,
> gregori

1. Linux Server and Windows 2000 Server Working Together - Advice Please

Hello, any help with this would be so greatly appreciated.  I've been
looking all over the place for some posts that would help me, but I
dont know if I am using the wrong keywords.  I have a Windows 2000
server (Windows 2000 Small Business Server to be exact) and some
client machines with Windows 2000 and XP Pro.  The Windows server
handles everything on the network, firewall, internet router, exchange
- the whole nine yards...works great for what we need it to do.

We are looking to have our working Red Hat Linux 9 server added to our
network so that we may SSH into it from the outside.  I've been told
that we need to get something called port forwarding/routing on the
windows server setup to point to the Linux box on port 21.

Here is some more detailed information about the network:

Windows 2000 Server
2 network cards (Int & Ext)
Int set to 192.168.16.2, 255.255.255.0 (used for internal network
connections)
Ext seto to automatically obtain an IP from the ISP (used for the
internet connection)

Linux Server
1 network card
set to 192.168.16.240, 255.255.255.0

Need to figure out a way to setup the W2k server to route port 21
requests to the Linux box.  Sounds easy, but I dont know where to
start.  Saw things in the W2k machine for IP packet filtering, port
settings and all that, but can not seem to get any luck.

Assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete M.
Long Island, NY
DREN4

2. HELP - Where do I find new ver. of kernel?

3. Linux Server and Windows 2000 Server - Advice Please

4. big ext3 sequential write improvement in 2.5.51-mm1 gone in 2.5.53-mm1?

5. Advice Please - Server Install and SoftUpdates

6. CDROM Not recognised

7. Rewriting my multi-client server, please advice.

8. Help! Dual-boot Linux/Win95

9. YOUR ADVICE PLEASE : Linux server / firewall

10. Advice, please - Minimal config to run three server apps?

11. Best hardware config for linux server - Advice please

12. socket programming - vb client, linux c server

13. WWW Server with SQL, Access, ODBC, OLE, and VB interfaces built in.