ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application

Post by John Tisaran » Thu, 28 Apr 1994 16:57:23

        Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)
Date: 27 Apr 1994 17:39:38 GMT

type software?  My group would like to be able to use our local network to
brainstorm and discuss various issues, much the way standard news works.  In
addition, we would like to be able to limit access to either the whole system,
or optimally to individual discussions.  It would be nice to be able to choose
from a list of topics, read the existing discussion archives, then post your
own 2 cents.  This functionality is common to PC/MAC bulletin boards, but
I can't remember seeing a UNIX implementation.

        I have been told that I could run a local version of NNTP and have
everyone point their news readers to it.  I am not sure how to limit access
if we do this, and it seems awkward to have to repoint your news reader.  We
may windo up doing this, but there HAS to be a better way.

John Tisaranni                          Tel:            (703)883-7418

Workstation System Engineering Center
7525 Colshire Drive, M.S. Z267, McLean, VA 22102

Post by Kestutis Sliup » Sat, 30 Apr 1994 11:33:58

>    Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)
>type software?  My group would like to be able to use our local network to
>brainstorm and discuss various issues, much the way standard news works.  In
>addition, we would like to be able to limit access to either the whole system,
>or optimally to individual discussions.  It would be nice to be able to choose
>from a list of topics, read the existing discussion archives, then post your
>own 2 cents.  This functionality is common to PC/MAC bulletin boards, but
>I can't remember seeing a UNIX implementation.

        Maybe I'm missing the point, but why not create local newsgroups
on the machine? The only thing that it won't do is limit the acess to
individual discussions. A possible security hole would be accidently
posting a response to an outside group.
--
                                Regards, Kestas

  Kestutis Sliupas              x  (510) 231-1540 (work voice)

1. ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)

[...]

2. Sun 3/XX NetBSD: Default console?

3. ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Type Application

4. Helix Gnome and esd

5. Unix Bulletin Boards

6. OPTi card - doesnt't work!

7. Unix Based Bulletin Boards

8. PnP Modem not working with isapnp

9. Query for Info-UNIX bulletin board

10. ISO ISO ISO ISO HELP

11. Hosting bulletin board on a web site

12. Network monitoring bulletin board and forum

13. FREE Shopping Cart and Bulletin Board