can't access mail in unix account

Post by Doug Emer » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I can't access mail remotely (POP3) or locally (mail, Pine)
from my school's unix account.  The server is an SGI
Challenge L server, running IRIX.

Login informs that I have mail, and I usually get 50-75
messages a day.  Pine returns this message for my inbox:

Quote:> [SELECT failed: inbox (file /usr/mail/emeryjhu) is not in valid mailbox format]

mail gives me this messge:

Quote:> mail: mailfile does not begin with a 'From' line

Is there anyway I can access the mail that's there or reset
my account to avoid losing messages in the future?  For now
I've rerouted my mail to my vms account, but I want to fix
the unix problem.  By the way, I've been told that the unix
system was hacked into recently, but I don't know that
someone else's tampering is the source of my problem.

Thanks in advance,

Doug
--
Doug Emery

1. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

I've got a 2.0.0 kernel with IP accounting enabled and successfully
installed some rules with

# ipfwadm -A -i -S other.system.in.domain -D other.system.in.domain

If other.system.in.domain is within the same subnet as my linux box itself
everything's fine. However - I need that accounting for my PPP dial-ins
and there I run into the effect that

# ipfwadm -A -l

always gives me a 0 traffic indication :-(

I'm not sure, but the reason might be that my PPP dial-ins are not within
the same subnet as  the linux system and that their routing's beeing
enabled by DIP right after the connection's been established.

Does someone have an idea what I could do to get that traffic counted ??

Thanks.

Ingo

(President - Geschaeftsfuehrer)

2. A Lesson to be Learned (was Re: How to do a filesystem link to a file of which I only have an fd?)

3. Access email by POP3 stored in 'apache' user account?

4. Solaris 8 HW 7/01 or 8/01 due out?

5. Try to keep Unix Qs is Unix newsgroups (was: chroot a user's account)

6. ldap

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Disorientation after upgrading from Red Hat 7.1 to 8.0

10. Mail access only account, anyone?

11. Difference between 'Mail' and 'mail'?

12. NEW Mailing List 'linux-access'