A simple question deserving a simple answer

A simple question deserving a simple answer

Post by Tad McClell » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: What does Unix (Specifically Linux) look like?

A bunch of ones and zeros ;-)

: Is it like Dos? Windows?

No, thank God.

: Something else?

Yes.

There's a simple answer...

--
    Tad McClellan                          SGML Consulting
    Tag And Document Consulting            Perl programming

A simple question deserving a simple answer

Post by Alan Simon » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

What does Unix (Specifically Linux) look like?  Is it like Dos? Windows?
Something else?
Alan Simons

Post by Patrick Vuichar » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> What does Unix (Specifically Linux) look like?  Is it like Dos? Windows?
> Something else?
> Alan Simons

I'll try to be a little less simple" than Tad.
Unix looks like what you want it to look like, that's the beautu of it!

In fact, it's very adaptative and modular, so, depending on how you (or
your sysadmin) sees the world.

You can use it in command mode, like a very powerful and more practical
DOS (and you can choose different command modes ("shells")), or in a
graphical way with the X Window System. In this case, the "look and
feel" depends on your window manager, and the way you have customized
it. If you want to have something that look like Winbug95, you can...
but usually, Unix users try to avoid what remind them of MacroBucks ;-)

|____            __                   | "If Buddha had intended men to |
|  ) /    __    /  ) _   __        __ | understand women,  He wouldn't |
| / /_   /(_)  / _  / ) /  ) /)/) /(_)| have given us aspirin."        |
|/ /  ( (___  (__) / ( (__/ / '( (___ |                     Confucius. |
|_____________________________________|________________________________|

Post by Ray A. Jon » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: What does Unix (Specifically Linux) look like?  Is it like Dos? Windows?
: Something else?
: Alan Simons

DOS 1.0 was a rewrite of CP/M, everything added to DOS since then was modled
after Unix.  The file system, commands etc.
mkdir, rmdir, cd, more, etc are all Unix commands.  Unix uses a different,
and better windowing system called X-windows.

Differences:
DOS uses / as an option switch as in "dir /w", whereas Unix uses a - as in
ls -l (list files in long format).  Because DOS used / for the option
switch, they had to reverse that for use in directory seperators.
\usr\bin in DOS, becomes /usr/bin in Unix.

--

                                  Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 236-1676
Manufacturer of InterRack (Internet-in-a-Rack), a full turn-key

Post by Alastair Aitke » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> : What does Unix (Specifically Linux) look like?

> A bunch of ones and zeros ;-)

> : Is it like Dos? Windows?

> No, thank God.

> : Something else?

> Yes.

> There's a simple answer...

<cackle>hehe</cackle>

Well, generally, its a kernel that is hardware specific and is compiled
for the particular machine you have.  Then there are /dev and /device
directories where the peripherals (monitors, tape and disk drives etc)
are described in files that the kernel uses to read and write from and
to them.  Then there a bunch of user programs such as ls, rm, cp, etc
(try typeing that one ... :-), then there is a shell that accepts your
commands and executes them.

There.  That's a seriously gross description of UNIX.  Dos is UNIX's
younger sibling by another parent (BIll Gates) but the file system and
shell paradigm (COMMAND.COM in dos) is borrowed from UNIX which was
invented in the early seventies, written in assembler for the first year
or two of its life, now excusively (I think anyway) written in C.

Not like Windows.  It's curtains for Windows. :-)))  Now .. X-Windows is
another matter entirely.

Alastair.

1. Simple question - simple answer?

I have racked my brains over this and have got other people to help,
but no solution:

I have a script which produces reports depending upon commandline
parameters. I want the commandline to be:

report.user [options] Asset [outfile]

If outfile is not supplied I want the script to send all output to
stdout. If it is all output, except for status lines is sent to
outfile.

The problem is, is what is an elegant way to do this?

(Note: using posix_sh - essentially HP's version of ksh...)

dave
--

"Dear God above (if you exist), Hope you see the funny side to this,
 Now don't get cross - don't bite your nails,

2. pwd prompts in unix

3. a simple sed question ( there all simple :> )

4. startx error

5. Simple question from simple user

6. Desktop used at Yahoo, Inc.

7. Simple FTP question (very simple)

8. Julian Date

9. simple question about simple code

10. Simple question for us simple minded.

11. Two simple questions (answer to number 1)

12. Very simple question please answer, i'm a beginner...

13. Looking for a smalltalk Guru to answer some simple questions