'make' fails, and I don't understand the error msg

'make' fails, and I don't understand the error msg

Post by Tuan » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:43:19

I'm trying to install zsh on a Solaris box at work. I'm a newbie with
Unix installation, so I'm just going to install it in my home
directory, rather than risk messing up the machine for others. I've
done so with a couple of other Unix apps, and it has worked find.

I downloaded it, unpacked it, cd'ed into the directory that resulted
from the unpacking, and ran ./configure as follows:

./configure --disable-etcdir --prefix=/home/tuang/bin/zsh/here

That worked fine, as it has with other apps that I've installed in my
home dir.

Then, I typed "make" as usual, but I got an odd error message this
time that comes back to me almost immediately:

$ make
/bin/sh: Src: does not exist
make: *** [all] Error 1

I'm so new at this, that I don't know what that error message is
saying. I'm guessing that make runs a shell script that uses the
/bin/sh shell. (I typed /bin/sh and verified that this shell exists.)
I think the /bin/sh shell is telling me that "Src" doesn't exist. I
don't know whether that's a directory or a file or something else, but
the Src *directory* certainly does exist. In the same directory where
I typed ./configure and make, if I do an ls, this is what I get:

$ ls
ChangeLog        META-FAQ         aclocal.m4       configure*
ChangeLog-3.1    Makefile         aczsh.m4         configure.ac
ChangeLog.3.0    Makefile.in      config.cache     configure.in
Completion/      Misc/            config.guess*    install-sh*
Config/          README           config.h         mkinstalldirs*
Doc/             Src/             config.h.in      stamp-h
Etc/             StartupFiles/    config.log       stamp-h.in
Functions/       Test/            config.modules   zshconfig.ac
INSTALL          Util/            config.status*
LICENCE          acconfig.h       config.sub*

I read README and INSTALL. I looked in the files Makefile and
Makefile.in for the string "does not exist" to see if the error was
coming from those files and might include a comment, but that string
wasn't in either file. In "install-sh", I did find

echo "install:  $src does not exist"

but I don't think that's it. I think the resemblance to my error msg
is a coincidence (but of course I'm not sure).

Google searching hasn't gotten me anywhere this time either, so I'd be
grateful for any tips. What program is telling me this, and what does
it mean? What did I do wrong, and how can I do it right?

Thanks.

'make' fails, and I don't understand the error msg

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:10:10

[...compiling zsh on Solaris...]

Quote:> $ make
> /bin/sh: Src: does not exist
> make: *** [all] Error 1

That's strange actually. The "all" target is built this way:

# default target
all: config.h

        done

This seems clear that the "cd Src" failed. You'll have to find
out why. Did you run make from the correct place, try ls -ld Src
to check permissions are OK try GNU make instead of Solaris
make.

Try to change the line above to

and check the result.

If you can't find out the source of the problem, you may send a
mail to zsh-users at sunsite dot dk to ask wether there's a
known issue about compiling zsh on Solaris.

--
Stphane

Post by Tuan » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:13:26

> [...compiling zsh on Solaris...]
> > $ make
> > /bin/sh: Src: does not exist
> > make: *** [all] Error 1

> That's strange actually. The "all" target is built this way:

> # default target
> all: config.h

>         done

> This seems clear that the "cd Src" failed. You'll have to find
> out why. Did you run make from the correct place, try ls -ld Src
> to check permissions are OK try GNU make instead of Solaris
> make.

> Try to change the line above to

> and check the result.

> If you can't find out the source of the problem, you may send a
> mail to zsh-users at sunsite dot dk to ask wether there's a
> known issue about compiling zsh on Solaris.

Thanks for all the tips! Not working yet, but here are the results
after changing the line you suggested (I assume in Makefile):

========= begin quote from command line ===================

$ chmod 777 Src

$ make
+ pwd
/home/tuang/bin/zsh/zsh-4.0.6
+ cd Src
/bin/sh: Src: does not exist
make: *** [all] Error 1

$ ls -ld Src
drwxrwxrwx   5 tuang www         1024 Mar 24 11:32 Src

$ make --version
GNU Make version 3.74, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

=========== end of quote ================

So, any other ideas?

Thanks.

'make' fails, and I don't understand the error msg

Post by Stephane CHAZELA » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:45:11

[...]
Quote:> $ make
> + pwd
> /home/tuang/bin/zsh/zsh-4.0.6
> + cd Src
> /bin/sh: Src: does not exist
> make: *** [all] Error 1

> $ ls -ld Src
> drwxrwxrwx   5 tuang www         1024 Mar 24 11:32 Src

[...]

???

Well...

Two other ideas:

Maybe there's a ENV variable in your environment that points to
a rc file that sets CDPATH to a a path where there's a "Src"
broken symbolic links... unlikely.

Maybe there are invisible characters in the Makefile (such as
^M).

Try:

make 2>&1 | cat -v
(with the set -x included)

What about
/bin/sh -c 'cd Src'
?

--
Stphane

1. X server error msg that I don't understand

Hi,

  I am still very new in linux (suse 5.3) and I have a problem.
 Every time I start X window using "startx"
 I got Xmessages pop up  state that

System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
-xkm -m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp
"> " -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server"
keymap/xfree86 /var/X11R6/xkb/compiled/xfree86.xkm'

Can someone telll me what I have to do to get rid of this message?
Also can soneone tell me when I start my computer,, all the messages
come up on the monitor are
log into what file ?

Thank You in advance!

Ming

2. FVWM audio

3. Don't understand error msg

4. LILO won't boot OS/2

5. X server error msg that I don't understand

6. Breaking out of loop in SWITCH statement?

7. I don't understand the '\'

8. State of the pins DCD and RI from a grap serial

9. Error msg 'failed to clear shared memory' when detecting second NE2000 card

10. Perl5.001 error msg: can't find library 'libdb.so.1'

11. SarCheck report makes a statement I don't understand relating to Solaris

12. Question on 'tar' error msg's

13. xinit : can't load library 'libXt.so.6' error msg.