GUI for editing ASCI text files in a Unix shell?

GUI for editing ASCI text files in a Unix shell?

Post by Darrin Wol » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 05:27:06

I'm tired of trying to cope with vi and emacs to do simple text editting
of raw ascii files.  I would really like to be working in a graphical
environment to the UNix shells if possible.  At the University I use
NextStep GUI to the Net.  In fact, I am so spoiled that when I'm left
using unix commands in a UNIX "box" over my modem from home, I find that
I am wasting more time using things like ls,chmod, vi, etc. repititiously
all night long.  And I can't remember where in the root filesys
everyth9ing is:  Please help?

Post by Al Spar » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 04:54:58

    D> I'm tired of trying to cope with vi and emacs to do simple text
    D> editting of raw ascii files.  I would really like to be working
    D> in a graphical environment to the UNix shells if possible.  At
    D> the University I use NextStep GUI to the Net.  In fact, I am so
    D> spoiled that when I'm left using unix commands in a UNIX "box"
    D> over my modem from home, I find that I am wasting more time
    D> using things like ls,chmod, vi, etc. repititiously all night
    D> long.  And I can't remember where in the root filesys
    D> everyth9ing is: Please help?

I'm the opposite.  I eschew the NEXTSTEP GUI even when I'm logged onto
console.  My theory was that if I became proficient with the tools
that were available remotely all the time, then I wouldn't be wasting
my time when I HAD to.

In fact, I use niutil for a lot of my system administration, and that
has enhanced my understanding of NEXTSTEP internals.

It's made me more versatile.
  === Al