Make

Post by Elmer van den Heuvel,725B,470 » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

In article   writes:

Quote:

>Hi,

>I've been having problems with make not knowing that I have updated my
>source code.  So when I type 'make xx', for example, it tells me 'xx is
>up to date', when I've just updated the file!  It only happens when I'm
>making executables, not when I'm just making objects.  Does anyone know
>what the problem could be, or know how to get around it?  I don't think
>it's my clock, because the times appear correct in my directory listing,
>and the old, compiled binary is definitely older than the updated
>source.

>I'm on an HP series 735, running HP-UX 9, with bash on an xterm.  It
>also happens when I try on a DEC Alpha.

>Thanks for any suggestions.
>Jeff

Try 'make -f xx', where xx is your makefile, or just rename xx to Makefile and type 'make'.
Or else remove the object files first.
Hope this helps,

Elmer.

Make

Post by Steve Bett » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> >source code.  So when I type 'make xx', for example, it tells me 'xx is
> >up to date', when I've just updated the file!  It only happens when I'm
> >making executables, not when I'm just making objects.  Does anyone know
> >what the problem could be, or know how to get around it?  I don't think
> >it's my clock, because the times appear correct in my directory listing,
> >and the old, compiled binary is definitely older than the updated
> >source.

> >I'm on an HP series 735, running HP-UX 9, with bash on an xterm.  It
> >also happens when I try on a DEC Alpha.

> >Thanks for any suggestions.
> >Jeff...snip...

Sounds like you don't have proper dependecies defined for your
executable.  Do you have your targets (executables) defined like
this?

target: object1.o object2.o

This will cause make to check if the target is newer that
object1.o and object2.o, and relink if not.
--
Steve Betts
TASC Dayton

1. Making changes to env variables and making them stick

I am a complete newbie to the Unix environment. We are running Solaris
8. Every time I make a change to the environment variables for a
particular user (notes, sybase, etc. ) the change doesn't stick after
i log off as that particular user. Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to make the changes stick regardless of if and when you log off?

Thanks in advance.

Deepika

2. Read an Unix formatted Drive on my Macintosh ?

3. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.

4. XF 4.0.2 / Trident Cyber9388 problems?

5. Configuring, making & making install. WOEs! :(

6. status of TB Santa Cruz MIDI/joystick support ?

7. Making Linux more user friendly

8. Got Knews newsreader working - now what..?

9. Linux making inroads on the desktop...

10. What does lock_kernel and unlock_kernel actualy makes ?

11. Making Streamer-Backups

12. Predict drive life by noise it makes?

13. making from src - /usr/src/lib/csu/i386