Priority que's and task switching

Post by Russell Conne » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have a question regarding how unix handles priorities and task
switching...

Let's suppose I only have three priority levels and only 6 processes
running.

Priority  A has process 1 in it.
Priority B has 2-5
Priority C has process 6 in it.

Now, the processor gives time in 1 sec increments to all priorities.
If Process 1 is asleep and the processor hits B will ALL of the B level
process get a turn at the CPU or only one process?
If only one process at Does the CPU have to hit A every time, wasiting CPU
time and then getting to the next B in the cue?
if a only need a tiny bit of 1 sec does B get the rest?

I ask this question because our AIX has tons (90%) of processes in the 60
cue, few in any of the others and I wonder if it "log-jams" and wastes to
much time and if changing priorities would help.

1. Task States; can't kill 'D' tasks

Hi, I am new to Linux. I am using Slackware 2.3.0, and have successfully
installed it and am having a ball with disk sets A, AP and D. I had a
glitch the other day when searching tar archives looking for a specific
file. I would CTRL-C to quit searching when it was obvious that I was
looking at the wrong floppy. Then tar got hung up and froze, when I
flipped over to another console I noticed that the state of the task
reported by the top command indicated a 'D', which I learned as
"un-interruptable sleep". I could not kill this task, and bogged the system
down by consuming CPU time. Was I a contributor to this problem?

thanks, Bryan

2. X related programming problem (BadRequest error)

3. How to set priority of a running task

4. Server fresh install (opening ports)

5. Task Priorities

6. 1.1.59 hangs, earlier version Kernel panic

7. Tasks and Priorities

8. Cannot unmount ramfs after chmod

9. Is task->priority for time slice ?

10. ?Setting task priority

11. 'mail'/'sendmail' with higher priority??

12. 'priority' vs. 'nice'

13. Task Switching in Linux