Soft Link vs Hard Link

Post by Manoj SASIDHARA » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi Friends,

What is the difference b/w Soft Link and Hard Link? Thanks in advance
for ur time and help.

brgds
MS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Soft Link vs Hard Link

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi Friends,

>What is the difference b/w Soft Link and Hard Link? Thanks in advance
>for ur time and help.

A hard link is a directory entry that refers to the same inode as another
entry.  The two entries are equivalent ways to refer to the same file.

A soft link, usually called a symbolic link these days, is a directory
entry that refers to another file by its name, not its inode.

Operationally, the best way to show the difference is when you delete the
original file and then create a new file with the same name.  With hard
links, the two names now refer to different files, but with symbolic links
the link now refers to the new file.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

Soft Link vs Hard Link

Post by Manoj SASIDHARA » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks a lot for ur help.

> >Hi Friends,

> >What is the difference b/w Soft Link and Hard Link? Thanks in advance
> >for ur time and help.

> A hard link is a directory entry that refers to the same inode as
another
> entry.  The two entries are equivalent ways to refer to the same file.

> A soft link, usually called a symbolic link these days, is a directory
> entry that refers to another file by its name, not its inode.

> Operationally, the best way to show the difference is when you delete
the
> original file and then create a new file with the same name.  With
hard
> links, the two names now refer to different files, but with symbolic
links
> the link now refers to the new file.

> --

> Genuity, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to
the group.

Post by Glenn Wes » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks a lot for ur help.

> > >Hi Friends,

> > >What is the difference b/w Soft Link and Hard Link? Thanks in
advance
> > >for ur time and help.

> > A hard link is a directory entry that refers to the same inode as
> another
> > entry.  The two entries are equivalent ways to refer to the same
file.

> > A soft link, usually called a symbolic link these days, is a
directory
> > entry that refers to another file by its name, not its inode.

> > Operationally, the best way to show the difference is when you
delete
> the
> > original file and then create a new file with the same name.  With
> hard
> > links, the two names now refer to different files, but with symbolic
> links
> > the link now refers to the new file.

Another important difference is that hard links cannot span file
systems while soft or symbolic links can.

Post by Walter T Rejune » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> >Hi Friends,

> >What is the difference b/w Soft Link and Hard Link? Thanks in advance
> >for ur time and help.

> A hard link is a directory entry that refers to the same inode as another
> entry.  The two entries are equivalent ways to refer to the same file.

> A soft link, usually called a symbolic link these days, is a directory
> entry that refers to another file by its name, not its inode.

> Operationally, the best way to show the difference is when you delete the
> original file and then create a new file with the same name.  With hard
> links, the two names now refer to different files, but with symbolic links
> the link now refers to the new file.

Also, hard links cannot go across file systems, symbolic links can.

1. Hard links vs. Soft links

                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For what it is worth, the functions do not work on ULTRIX 3.0 /bin/sh. This
is suppose to be from BSD sh from a while back. The functions do work on the
/bin/sh5 which is suppose to be based on SYS V.2 (I think it is version 2).

So, based of this, *early* version of sh might not support this.

Thanks for pointing out this function, I had not though to test our sh5
out for this. Learn something new every day.

Douglas

--

Academic Computer Center                or      gatech!dekalb!douglas
DeKalb College

2. small drive to big

3. Hard Links .vs. Soft Links

4. Multihoming on FreeBSD

5. About Hard Link/soft link

6. no monitor/keyboard boot

7. hard links v soft links

8. drivers/block/genhd.c & MINIX subpartitioning & where do I send what?

9. Hard links and soft links

10. What is the difference between soft link and hard link?

11. soft vs. hard links, please explain...

12. Hard vs Soft Links?

13. Hard and soft links