simulated unix

Post by rfan » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 18:35:48

I want to learn unix commands, shell programming etc

Is there a way of simulating a unix environment on a windows PC?

--
rfan

07801054820

simulated unix

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 00:02:16

Quote:>I want to learn unix commands, shell programming etc

>Is there a way of simulating a unix environment on a windows PC?

yes, get cygwin.

if you have some free disk space you could install freebsd or linux and
dual-boot.  (or get vmware and run linux and win98 at the same time.)

--
okay, have a sig then

simulated unix

Post by Mark O. Schlege » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:50:31

> >I want to learn unix commands, shell programming etc

> >Is there a way of simulating a unix environment on a windows PC?

> yes, get cygwin.

> if you have some free disk space you could install freebsd or linux and
> dual-boot.  (or get vmware and run linux and win98 at the same time.)

> --
> okay, have a sig then

There's also UWIN:

http://www.gtlinc.com/uwin.html

Mark

simulated unix

Post by Harry Pehkone » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:09:10

> I want to learn unix commands, shell programming etc

> Is there a way of simulating a unix environment on a windows PC?

Yes.

You have two options  as far as how you would like  to do this (IMHO).
You  can  either find  some  unix commands  that  were  ported to  the
wintendo platform  (i.e.  you add ls.exe, gawk.exe,  sed.exe, etc into
your c:\winnt\system32 directory), or you can install an emulator that
basically functions  like it was a  remote access into  a unix machine
(``cygwin.''  There are others (?)).

I've had good success with both.   I'm thrilled to be able to use grep
without having to fire up a huge environment.  I'm also thrilled to be
able to fire up this program-from-heaven  and feel right at home on my
wintendo machine at work.

In order to  ``learn shell programming,'' you'd be  better off getting
the  whole-meal-deal.   This  means  cygwin.   Get ready  for  a  long
download, and some tweaking, but I think it's worth it.

--
Harry.

1. simulate UNIX environment on VAX/VMS

Hello,
        I normally work with UNIX and like this
operating system. In a few days, I will have to work
with VAX/VMS. I dont mind re-learning the commands for
this OS but I was wondering if there was a way to simulate
a UNIX envirionment on a VAX. I have heard that one can
change VAX/VMS prfofile to accomplish this.
        I would *greatly* appreciate any type of help
or hints in this area  :)

TIA

2. Question for the ipchains experts...

3. C pipe (simulate Unix pipe command)

4. PROBLEM WITH NETWORKING

5. using MKS Toolkit. Which simulates Unix on a Dos Machine.

6. new to linux

7. Simulate MAC under unix?

8. Linux on SPARC rules

9. how do simulate getch in unix

10. Simulating EOF in UNIX C program

11. Simulating arrays in unix

12. How to simulate ncd in UNIX?

13. Simulating the internet with a Linux machine