Sort Utility Wanted

Post by Dave Stephens » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking for a sort utility to run on AIX - the built-in sort is
not suitable for the following reasons:

1. I am sorting binary files that don't have field or record
terminators, they are fixed-length records

2. I need to sort on binary numeric fields (COBOL COMP and COMP-3)

3. I need to be able to limit the size of the sort work space.

(Item 1 is the most important of these requirements)

Does anyone know of such sort utilities?

1. WANTED: Utility to sort in EBCDIC sequence

I need a utility to be able to sort using the EBCDIC collating sequence rather
than ASCII.  We have clients that are still using IBMs or other systems that
are EBCDIC machines.  We can convert the data to EBCDIC format using dd, but
the data must also be sorted in EBCDIC format.

We thought about converting the data to EBCDIC using dd and then sorting, but
dd does not preserve newlines when converting to EBCDIC, so sorting "records"
in this manner is not possible.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Allen

--

Programmer/Analyst
Spectrum

2. No networking since 2.6.18!

3. sort sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting (4.1.3)

4. Linux=Stink*Stank*Stunk

5. free sort utility available anywhere on the net?

6. IOT trap/Abort

7. Sorting Utility

8. ext2fs in OBSD3

9. Sort Utility for Binary Files?

10. using tab delimiter for Unix sort utility

11. Sorting utility

12. using tab delimiter for Unix sort utility

13. Solaris Sort Utilities