Mapping two key sequences to one key?

Post by Bill Peters » Mon, 05 Sep 1994 07:15:33

I've recently moved a student information system from a mainframe to an
RS/6000 running AIX. We're currently supporting VT100 and VT220 emulation,
and I'm looking for a way to map two different key sequences to the same
VT100/VT220 key. Let me explain:

The system uses F3 and F4 for Page Up and Page Down (a mainframe legacy).
It's written in Software AG's Natural, which (for mainframe compatability)
can only accept keyboard input when ENTER or a function key is pressed. We
would like to assign the PgUp and PgDn keys so that they can also be used
for paging. The client telnet software sends ^[OR for F3, and something
like ^[[5~ (I don't have the codes in front of me at the moment) for PgUp.
If possible, I would like to set things up so that either of these codes is
interpreted as an F3. I realize that remapping keys at the host end will
effectively disable PgUp/PgDn in other applications, but since this system
is the only one running on the machine this is not a problem.

I do *not* want to redefine the keys at the client software end, as access
to the system is (will be) possible from any telnet client on the net.
That's too many clients for us to reconfigure, and it would adversely
affect the client's telnet to other hosts.

I tried setting F3 to both sequences in the termcap file, but had no luck.
Perhaps what I need is a Unix utility to intercept input and remap ^[[5~ to
^[OR? I am still new to Unix, and would be grateful for any information
anyone might be able to pass on.

Bill Peterson
Senior Programmer/Analyst
University of Wisconsin System Administration
Office of Information Services

1. mapping two chars to one key

Hello!

I tried to find a way to map my keyboard (attached to an
IBM xstation 130) so that pressing the key a generates +a (two
chars: an 'a' and a '+').

I couldn't make xmodmap use soemthning like

keycode  39 = +a

(or similar variants with " or ')

Is it possible to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards,
W. Swiatek

2. Help!!!

3. mapping sparc keys to x86 keys in cde (sun faq 1543-02)

4. Multithreading & gdb

5. How to map keys (COPY, PASTE) into F7 or F8 keys

6. freezing jobs

7. How to change key map for tab key

8. Diamond Viper VLB Driver for Linux

9. Mapping keys other than the function keys

10. Mapping SUN's F12 key to as400 F12 key

11. How do I map Compose key to a ctrl-key combo?

12. How to map keys (COPY, PASTE) into F7 or F8 keys

13. How to map keys (COPY, PASTE) into F7 ou F8 key?