8/25/92 CLB EVENT NOTICE - ZEN AND THE ART OF DEVICE DRIVER WRITING -

8/25/92 CLB EVENT NOTICE - ZEN AND THE ART OF DEVICE DRIVER WRITING -

Post by Eugene N. Mi » Fri, 21 Aug 1992 05:57:35

Another bookshop notice.  This notice forwarded by request.
Followups to c.u.admin
=====

PLEASE POST IN YOUR SYSTEM.

Thanks!  :)

**ANNOUNCING AN EVENT AT COMPUTER LITERACY BOOKSHOPS**

      ZEN AND THE ART OF DEVICE DRIVER WRITING

GEORGE PAJARI, the President and founder of Driver
Design Labs, (a company that specializes in the
development of UNIX device drivers) and the author of
the hot selling book, "Writing UNIX Device Drivers",
will be our special guest speaker of the evening.

Date:  Tuesday, August 25, 1992
Time:  6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Location: Computer Literacy Bookshops
          2590 North First Street (At Trimble)
          San Jose
          (408) 435-1118

Events at our stores are always FREE!!!!!!!!

If you would like to receive e-mail announcements
for upcoming store events, simply write to

Computer Literacy Bookshops, Inc.
Marketing Department
Tracy Russ                 Cherrie C. Chiu

(408) 435-5015 x109        (408) 435-5015 x116

1. Z-Buffering and the Art of Zen

Greetings,

Apparently, we are not all graphic gurus. Alot of the technology that
is out today for the PC market and whatever else was out WAY before
its popularity now.
Z buffering was out when the Commodore Amiga was the home computer to
have (it still is, but software support is slacking). The latest
technology (almost) is used in the 3DO M2 video game machine. A lot
of the technology was in the Video Toaster of yesteryear. Many of the
things you see today are part of designs and proven technology from
other people's work - years before they became popular on the market.
Yes, reverse engineering and stolen designs play a part of this. Do
you know about Commodore's CD-TV or the OpalVision?
Well in the other countries, Commodore was known for many things
(har-har) but they did have a darn good machine for hacking on new
technology. Win95 is nothing new to us, just a memory hog and
extremely buggy.

I bring this up since you can use this knowledge to enhanced Linux.
GNU software is available everywhere
and the latest patches are on certain FTP sites. With
all the Electrical & Computer Science & Engineering students (and
professionals) out there - you mean we can't solve all of our
problems with our combined knowledge of today's technology? Heck, I
still have
to track down GNU software for the latest versions
if they are not on the MIT site or Coast Net. Oh well,
you can't have your cake and eat it too (but you can if you take a slice!).

About Matrox, leave them alone - their Canadians not Americans. You
bought their products - no one forced you. If you bought a Hyundai,
its your fault - not the dealer. I don't even know if they know about
Better Business Bureaus or Consumer Reports. They didn't seem
to know about Linux! If you want to do z-buffering
and other fancyful things, I'm sure there ae many
graphics gurus that can give you the hack secrets
to use XFree86 and whatever else (like Doom2) for
any darn graphics (or sound) card you want.

Matrox didn't play you like a flute. You can get a refund if you
don't like their service. I'm sure Diamond will greet you with open
arms (I heard stories about them too). We said the same thing about
Commodore
with their marketing skills for the last 10-15 years).
Cirrus also has good chips, and I'm sure they'll
give you some specs for turbocharged work.

Don't forget, just becasue you bought it - doesn't mean the
manufacturer must help you on some unintended purpose project (like
XFree86). That's their right and choice. Do you believe in lifetime
warranties too?
-Ken

2. Need proffessional help with sb128pci under FreeBSD 4.2

3. PC-Zen (Grey Cell Systems) device driver?

4. MATLAB and FreeBSD ?

5. Zen and the art of Rdist...

6. FTP/NIS problem

7. Zen and the art of window managing

8. dhcp client and dns name resolution

9. Zen and the Art of Hard-drive Hygiene

10. user space device driver can't write to isa device

11. Writing control codes to device through a device driver

12. to write or not to write a BLASTED device driver

13. device driver: using poll to wait for an event