Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

Post by Steve Fewste » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Help.

We have two servers in house.

NT 4 SP3.      Sco Unix Open Server 5.

I have exchange configured so users on PC's can exchane mail using the
postoffice located on the Exchange server.

1.) Is it possible for people using Unix mail to send mai lto PC users and
vice versa.

2.) Where do I start

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

Post by John Riddoc » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Help.

> We have two servers in house.

> NT 4 SP3.      Sco Unix Open Server 5.

> I have exchange configured so users on PC's can exchane mail using the
> postoffice located on the Exchange server.

> 1.) Is it possible for people using Unix mail to send mai lto PC users and
> vice versa.

> 2.) Where do I start

Well, I don't know much about Exchange, but here are a few ideas:

You should be able to configure exchange to use SMTP (I hope).  This
would allow you to send mail to the unix server.  Set up sendmail on
the unix server to send mail to the exchange server (you might have to
configure exchange to receive mail if it doesn't already).

Alternatively, ditch Exchange and set everyone up with POP3 access on
the unix server.  Alternatively, configure Exchange to allow POP3
access; that may be an easier solution, at least in the short term.
Whether it is easier to maintain than a unix POP3 host, I don't know
(and is probably an issue for some advocacy newsgroup).

--
John Riddoch                    Programmer/Webmaster
Room C6, School of Computer and Mathematical Science

1. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

  We have MS-Mail server on a Netware 3.12 box with Win 3.1 MS-Mail and
Win95 Exchange/Message Service (they changed the name mid-stream...)
clients and are looking at how to lash this up with a Linux box acting as
firewall/mail-server connected via frame relay to an ISP. We're also
looking at adding an NT box with Back Office, including Exchange Server.

  Anyone have any experience with any of this who would like to share
their experience and knowledge? I would also greatly appreciate any
pointers to relevant reference materials, especially of a tutorial nature.

  Thanks.

--
Jim Holbach                          |    The more I know,

San Antonio, TX                      |

2. Reboot problems with Solaris x86

3. UNIX Mail -> MS Exchange

4. Power controll does not work

5. MS Exchange and Unix mail integration

6. Automated SysAdmin; Dot Files; HP-UX porting (ver: Dec 4, 2003)

7. Problem sending smtp unix mail through MS Exchange server to outside

8. Serious admin assistance needed, we're in Santa Clara.

9. Losing tabs from unix mail to MS Exchange

10. Pine & new mail notification - switch to MS Exchange/Outlook?

11. sendmail can't receive from cc:mail & ms-mail

12. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

13. mail - Sending mail to Exchange Server